Corn Stock
  Re: (...)
For those of you who are getting great local corn for a good price, remember to make stock. I use it to make cornbread using the 18 hour bread recipe, sub 1/2 cornmeal for the flour, and use the corn stock instead of the water. I cook it in muffin tins, then cut the muffins into rounds. We top it with pulled pork, and a bit of sauce for a passed appetizer. So easy, and so good!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Corn Stock by Lorraine (For those of you who...)
I love the idea of using the 18 hour bread recipe for cornbread, Lorrane. I'll have to give that idea a try. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Corn Stock by Gourmet_Mom (I love the idea of u...)
I'm torn this year whether to make corn stock or keep dryng my cobs to use for smoking some bacon. Since I'm still trying to empty the freezers, guess this year it'll be dried cobs... But stock is so good - even just using it for rice!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corn Stock by cjs (I'm torn this year w...)
You know, Jean. I was a little ticked off when William threw out my drying cobs. But then I realized, with all the feed and seed corn around her...even with the draughts, I'll be able to gather enough cobs to smoke dozens of slabs of bacon if I wanted to.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Corn Stock by Gourmet_Mom (You know, Jean. I w...)
I love this idea, Lorraine, and have done it a few times now. Your cornbread idea sounds delicious. I'll be trying that one next. We have not dried the cobs for smoking though. Ron has a problem with that for some reason. He just wants to use wood. Might be hard to get him to change his mind.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Corn Stock by Mare749 (I love this idea, Lo...)
Well, the more I think about this, I may have to make a small batch and try in my cornbread... does sound good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corn Stock by cjs (Well, the more I thi...)
This last batch I made is sweet, it's incredible. Started a triple batch of the 18 hour bread this morning.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Corn Stock by Lorraine (This last batch I ma...)
As you'll see in a few other messages I'm about to post, I've been watching a lot of Masterchef Australia. One of the many things they do differently from the other Masterchef shows is a once-a-week Masterclass show where the judges and/or guest chefs show how to cook a few different dishes and, in so doing, also demonstrate various techniques.

The folloiwing recipe was on the Masterclass episode that I watched most recently and seemed like something that would be perfect for you guys. BTW. these are all back episodes, so please don't tell me any spoilers if you see anything about any of the results,

Actually, instead of copying the whole thing, here is a link to the recipe for Four Textures of Corn. The four parts are:
  • Roasted Sweet Corn and Smoked Almond Salad,
  • Corn Purée,
  • Corn Custard and
  • Popcorn with Saffron Butter.
Here's the picture from the site:

[Image: cornfourways640x360.jpg]

Enjoy!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Corn Stock by labradors (As you'll see in a f...)
Interesting. I've been watching MasterChef for the past few weeks. I can finally get it. Anyway, I saw where they have these classes in one of the episodes when Ramsey offered a scholarship to one of the losers. I was very surprised these workshop/classes were available, but more so that Ramsey offered. Then tonight they talked about how famous the show is around the world. It was amazing!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Corn Stock by Gourmet_Mom (Interesting. I've b...)
Yeah. I'm finally keeping up with the U.S. Masterchef and Hell's Kitchen. In those, it's interesting to see something I've noticed in some other Gordon-Ramsay shows: despite Ramsay's foul mouth and apparent arrogance, you can also see that he is FAR from being heartless. Quite the opposite, in fact.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?