Kind Of Funny Things
  Re: (...)
We had a small wedding this weekend, and sometimes, nothing goes right. Friday was prep day. Before we leave the apartment, he knocks over a cooler fullo of melted ice/water in the kithcen. I jump up to help him and knock over my huge mug of coffee. Pick up the ice cubes, put towels on the floor to help sop up the water, then I have to change clothes. We needed Pecan Syrup for the buffet. What's that I smell?? A full sheet pan of burnt pecans. Then his syrup overflowede, all over the stove. Had to turn it off, dismantle it, and clean the stove. I thought I could reach a plastic tub we keep white bowls for condiments in. Nope, landed on the floor, broke 4 out of the 6 bowls. I figure Saturday has to be better. We have a younbg guy, fresh out of culinary school, that was supposed to be there at 8am . No show, not answering his cell. Gil did the omellette station, sweet potato waffle station, and carving station by himself (he really is good at it!). Waitstaff comes into the kitchen, the groom wants to know where the soda pop is for the kids. I guess he didn't know his bride said specifically no pop, ice tea and lemonade, and all the wine at the bar. No, he is insistent. I always have some in the back, so go put some on ice. Turns out, he wanted coke with his meal, not the kids. Staff come back again, someone wants hot sauce. All I have is a gallon jug, need to find something to put it in. Do we have chili sauce? Do we have ketchup? Can't you just eaqt what's on the buffet? I did beautiful arrangements for the buffet and bar. Half way thru, did a walkabout, half the roses from the arrangements are gone. then I notice, ladies have the flowers in their hair, their dresses. I was amazed. What really threw me, was at the end, some guests took all the flowers out of the vases. The Co-ordinator at the winery stopped one guest from walking out with my big antique urn of flowers. I can only hope the next 3 weekends go better.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Kind Of Funny Things by Lorraine (We had a small weddi...)
Wow, all I can say is, your karma must be better after this weekend!! Whenever I made little garnishes (roses, pigs, swans, etc.) for buffets they were gone in a flash! Especialy little lemon 'pigs' they were so cute, I don't blame the folks for taking them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Kind Of Funny Things by cjs (Wow, all I can say i...)
WOW! What a weekend! And after all that you come back and cook up a storm. Just...WOW!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Kind Of Funny Things by Lorraine (We had a small weddi...)
Souls of saints! My Gawd you have more patience than I do!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Kind Of Funny Things by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! What a weekend...)
My goodness, Lorraine! Your stories make my head spin sometimes. I'm not surprised about the flowers though. Some people figure they've paid for it so they're taking them. It's a shame that they help themselves to the decorations before the party is over. Hope you don't use expensive glassware! You know, if it's not nailed down....

Glad you were able to recover your urn. That was a lot of nerve that someone tried to walk out with it!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Kind Of Funny Things by Mare749 (My goodness, Lorrain...)
Quote:

Hope you don't use expensive glassware

They left the little dollar stores vases.
  Re: Re: Kind Of Funny Things by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Now who's going to wipe up the coffee I just spewed . . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Kind Of Funny Things by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Another chuckle this morning.....
  Re: Re: Kind Of Funny Things by Trixxee (Another chuckle this...)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Kind Of Funny Things by Mare749 ( [img]/ubbthreads/im...)
He's been in the business so long, he just goes with the flow. I still get all bent out of shape over little stuff. He says I need to calm down and just let it go.