What's for Dinner, Tuesday 8/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

I picked up 3 (?) of the pkg'd pork sirloin roasts at Costco (I know, I wasn't going to buy anything for the freezer yet, but had to have pork to try some leftover recipes. ) and cooked one up yesterday. We're going to have a Linguine and pork stir-fry with an Heirloom tomato salad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Tuesday 8/16?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
I'll be working at Tuesday Table, so we'll be eating whatever he makes. Hope he does something with the fresh fava beans we bought at from a roadside stand.and, it would be nice to get the dozen local corn he bought yesterday out of the fridge.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tuesday 8/16?? by Lorraine (I'll be working at T...)
Lorraine, I've never had nor used fava beans. Apart from any Hannibal Lecter references, what would be some good ways to use them? Can't get the fresh ones here - just canned or jarred, but I've wondered what they are like.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tuesday 8/16?? by labradors (Lorraine, I've never...)
I've asked for a seafood "mystery basket" for dinner. We'll see if he comes through. It may be peanut butter sandwiches...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tuesday 8/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (I've asked for a sea...)
Happy Anniversary, Daphne. Hope you have a beautiful dinner.

I'm going to use the pork tenderloin tonight. We'll grill it and baste it with some kind of sauce. Rice and snow peas for sides.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tuesday 8/16?? by Mare749 (Happy Anniversary, D...)
Happy anniversary, Daphne!

Pork tenderloin here tonight too - just found a recipe for
Adobo-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Black Bean Pico de Gallo that sounds good and I think I've got everything I need for it.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...4#ixzz1VClxvxiy
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tuesday 8/16?? by Trixxee (Happy anniversary, D...)
Thanks you guys! I haven't reminded him, but he IS working at the marina today. We'll see...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tuesday 8/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks you guys! I ...)
Happy Anniversary, Daphne and be sure to take pictures and especially of William as he walks thru the door - if he forgot to bring what you wanted..... (there is no evil face )

Labs, we love fava beans also, but have never used anything but fresh/frozen. hmmmmm, let me think what could be adapted.

why not add some to a risotto?
add to a braised meat dish and let cook together?
make a pasta primavera and add with a couple of other veggies
add to any Asian stir-fry
PIZZA! add to some toppings - bacon, fava, manchego, ricotta
add for a crunch to a chicken or seafood taco

About all I can think of right now. Shoot, I'm going to copy my own list - I look at the pkg. in the freezer and think what'll I do with them this time and then grab something else.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tuesday 8/16?? by cjs (Happy Anniversary, D...)
Happy Anniversary Daphne & William!!! Good luck on the "basket".

Labs we adore fava beans but we've only had them fresh. I would think you could use canned in a pasta dish or a succotash with some fresh corn. We did a wonderful fresh fava dish with just the beans tossed while hot with some OO, Romano cheese, and mint. OMG. Of course we like to just eat them plain with a bit of salt, like edamame.

Dinner tonight - I think maybe the leftover eggplant parm - maybe the ravioli or tortoloni with ricotta, spinache, and grilled chicken. I'd really like a nice thick piece of beef!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tuesday 8/16?? by Harborwitch (Happy Anniversary Da...)
The salad I used our next heirloom tomato in was just wonderful!!

Tomato Salad Caliente
The Border Cookbook, Bill & Cheryl Jamison
6 servings

Shredded Lettuce
Dressing:
6 T. extra-virgin olive oil
2 T. sherry vinegar (I used white Balsamic)
1 clove garlic, roasted and mashed
1/4 teaspoon each: salt, dried thyme, rosemary (I used ~1/2 tsp. fresh thyme & rosemary)
-----
3 large or 6 med. beefsteak-style tomatoes, peeled (I didn’t) and sliced thick (I just used one Heirloom tomato)
1/2 cup chopped roasted mild green chile, preferable poblano or Anaheim, fresh or frozen
4 to 6 oz. asadero or Monterey Jack cheese, grated (I had emanthaler)

Heat the broiler, Grease a heat-proof baking sheet. Arrange a bed of lettuce on individual salad plates. Combine the dressing ingredients.

Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Top with equal portions of the chile and sprinkle the cheese over the chile.

Broil the tomatoes for 1 to 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Transfer the tomato slices to the plates and drizzle the dressing over them. Serve immediately.

Note: I drizzled a little of the dressing over the greens, topped with the tomatoes and drizzled a tad more over the tomatoes.

Wonderful flavor and the salad was equally good served with (we had them all opened) Chateau Ste. Michelle Harvest Select Riesling (dry), Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling (less dry), and Columbia Crest 2-Vine Shiraz.

What a keeper this salad is.
www.achefsjourney.com