Vanilla Chai Ice Cream!
  Re: (...)
Experiment #1 was a HUGE success! Wow, this is good!

About two weeks ago, I decided to have a cup of vanilla chai one night. I didn't happen to have any milk, but I had a little bit of heavy cream left over from something else I had made, so I used that. That cup of tea was just amazing and immediately made me think that it would be an incredible ice cream. Since then, the store had been out of heavy cream, so when they did have some, yesterday, I got some. So I wouldn't waste too much if it didn't turn out, I only used one cup of cream (it comes in one-cup boxes). It DID turn out VERY well, though - and without needing any adjustments.

Here it is:

Vanilla Chai Ice Cream

Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Heavy cream
  • 1/4 Cup Sugar
  • 2 Bags Vanilla chai (I used Bigelow)
Instructions:
  1. Place cream and sugar into a small saucepan.
  2. Heat on medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved.
  3. Add the tea bags.
  4. Continue heating until cream is scalded.
  5. Remove from the heat.
  6. Allow the tea to steep in the cream, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
  7. Remove the tea bags, pressing them well to release as much liquid from them as possible before discarding them.
  8. Stir the mixture well to distribute the tea evenly.
  9. Freeze with an ice-cream maker or just in a container in the freezer (stirring occasionally - about every 30-45 minutes - for the latter).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Vanilla Chai Ice Cream! by labradors (Experiment #1 was a ...)
I will definitely try this one. Since I'm not a tea drinker, I was going to ask you what "2 Bags Vanilla chai (I used Bigelow)" is, but they are tea bags. Surely I can find them at Central market next week. (plus I like the amounts, just in case....)

Put a big star on your forehead!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vanilla Chai Ice Cream! by cjs (I will definitely tr...)
Chai is black tea to which spices have been added. It is usually served with honey and milk (instead of cream and sugar). Bigelow and Twinings have a lot of different teas. Some friends, here, introduced me to the Bigelow vanilla chai, which their daughter brings down from the States when she visits so I had someone else who was coming down bring me some.

In the States, the Bigelow and Twinings teas are usually pretty easy to find in supermarkets, so you probably won't have to look very far.
  Re: Re: Vanilla Chai Ice Cream! by labradors (Chai is black tea to...)
Labs that sounds amazing! I can see grilled peaches with that ice cream. I love the chai seasonings! Thankyou!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Vanilla Chai Ice Cream! by Harborwitch (Labs that sounds ama...)
That idea with the peaches sounds great, Sharon. Go for it!
  Re: Re: Vanilla Chai Ice Cream! by labradors (That idea with the p...)
Congratulations on the experiment! I'm not familiar with chai, but I may have to give it a try.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Vanilla Chai Ice Cream! by labradors (That idea with the p...)
One of my favorite things to do with Chai teabags is to nestle one under each half of an acorn squash in about 3/4" of water in a baking dish and bake until tender. The Chai flavors are perfect with the squash.

I think this ice cream is going to be my dessert very soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Vanilla Chai Ice Cream! by Harborwitch (One of my favorite t...)
That sounds so good, Labs. I love chai tea, but only ever have it in the winter. Your idea is a good one. Might have to get out the ice cream machine that I haven't used in ages. I've been wanting to make Jean's cream cheese ice cream too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Vanilla Chai Ice Cream! by Mare749 (That sounds so good,...)
Oh, Maryann! That ice cream is so good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Vanilla Chai Ice Cream! by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Maryann! That i...)
I'm going to have to try this chai tea. Thanks Labs!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.