What's for Dinner, Saturday - 8/27?
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for today - not much fun cooking going on back east, that's for sure.

It's Pizza day around here! I'm making one for brunch (from the leftovers from yesterday's tasting) and then tonight another pizza party at the 'wood-fired pizza oven' neighbors. Have to take an hors, but don't know what yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday - 8/27? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
Well, if we don't lose power, 40 cloves and a chicken! Haven't done that one in a while and since we'll be alone with each other, who cares that we smell like a garlic patch?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday - 8/27? by BarbaraS (Well, if we don't lo...)
We wound up just doing pizza delivery last night as we had an A/C repair man here during the dinner hour. Didn't want to be grilling steaks while he was working away.

So tonight it's rib eyes, corn and salad.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday - 8/27? by Trixxee (We wound up just doi...)
Don't laugh....William suggested I pick up some Spam yesterday, and once the idea of a fried Spam Sandwich got in my head, I couldn't get it out. So that was dinner last night. So we'll have the burgers and corn tonight.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday - 8/27? by Gourmet_Mom (Don't laugh....Willi...)
Spam sounds good to me!

Oh my Lord, clean the frig pizza is so good!! And, Bill & Jane's method for par-baking and freezing pizza dough really works so well. I probably will not be without a frozen-par-baked crust in the freezer ever!!

[Image: TastingLeftoverPizza.jpg]

Can you believe all of this was on one little pizza???

marinara
mozz
spinach
fennel
pork (cooked ins Passata sauce YUM!)
clam
grilled zucc
carrots, grated
red onion
chedar/pepperjack

[Image: TastingLeftoverPizza2.jpg]

It was a wonderful flavored pizza.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday - 8/27? by cjs (Spam sounds good to ...)
Gosh that looks good, Jean! Didn't know what to make for dinner before seeing your photo. I'm going to go mix up some dough!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday - 8/27? by Mare749 (Gosh that looks good...)
I just made William sick, Jean....LOL! Those hamburger aren't going to be so good, now!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday - 8/27? by Gourmet_Mom (I just made William ...)
Nothing like peeling 4 bulbs of garlic...

4 lbs whole chickens, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
10 sprigs fresh thyme
40 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
1)Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and brown on both sides in a wide fry pan or skillet over high heat.
2)Remove from heat, add oil, thyme, and garlic cloves. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
3)Remove chicken from the oven, let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

Courtesy of Alton Brown.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday - 8/27? by BarbaraS (Nothing like peeling...)
I think the only time I made 40 clove Chicken was when I was still at the hotel and I had the commercial containers of peeled garlic....never since then. good on you!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday - 8/27? by cjs (Spam sounds good to ...)
Jean I'm so glad the par baking worked for you!!! Question--no matter how thin we make the crust it still rises during baking--should we let it sit longer? Sometime people (including me) want a thin crust--any suggestions?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".