Corn Chowder Bar
  Re: (...)
Hey all! I know I've been posting sporadically, but last night we tried something new that I want to share. We had a wine/beer and cheese night, but for the main course, we wanted to take advantage of Hatch pepper season. We decided on a Hatch Corn Chowder with Hatch Cornbread. We had some concerns about some of our guests..those who don't eat spicy foods or (gasp!) bacon. But we still wanted it to be hearty enough to be counteract the beer and wine. So my brother made a Corn Chowder out of Charleston Receipts Repeats but left out the bacon and used roasted fresh corn as opposed to frozen as called for in the recipe. Then we set up a topping station with bacon, grilled chicken, queso fresco, cilantro, and roasted Hatch peppers. Everyone got to customize their bowl! It seemed to be a big hit.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Corn Chowder Bar by cheesemonger (Hey all! I know I've...)
What a great idea, Allison! Who in the world doesn't eat bacon? Is't that un-American? LOL!

Thanks for sharing this! It opens up so many other ideas!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Corn Chowder Bar by cheesemonger (Hey all! I know I've...)
Allison, That sounds great and like a lot of fun!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Corn Chowder Bar by esgunn (Allison, That sound...)
What a great idea, Allison! Sounds delicious!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Corn Chowder Bar by Mare749 (What a great idea, A...)
"Is't that un-American?" It definitely is!!

I love roasted corn for making corn (and such) chowders and what a great idea for a party. Idea copied and written down - thanks Allison.

What wine (or beer) did you prefer with the corn chowder?? And what other foods did you serve?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corn Chowder Bar by cjs ("Is't that un-Americ...)
How dare you!! How dare you come on here, make me hungry and NOT share a recipe...Oh the nerve
  Re: Re: Corn Chowder Bar by DFen911 (How dare you!! How d...)
Haha! Recipe follows.

Jean, we also served Hatch cornbread and a Chilled Creamy Green Chile Soup out of Stop and Smell the Rosemary. (I know, soup heavy.) The chilled soup was good but spicier than expected (I think the produce guys got the mild and hot peppers mixed up.) We have decided we like it better as a dip with tortilla chips. I enjoyed my food with a Chenin Blanc..I don't recall which one..something the wine recommended after they were out of my go-to Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier blend. Most of the other guests drank Dos Equis or IPA.

We started with a cheese course. One of our guests had recently confided in me that she doesn't like blue cheese or brie. Of course, I took this as a personal challenge. For the brie contender, I served Robiola Bosina, and Italian soft ripened (not true brie) cheese that is a blend of sheep and cow milk. It still had the mushroomy flavor of brie and she didn't like that. For the blue contender, I offered up Pure Luck Hopelessly Blue, a local goat blue which has won over many previous blue-haters, but still, she resisted. I also threw in a second blue I wasn't even planning on called Muffatto which mean "modly" in Italian (or so I'm told.) It has very little blue veining, but is interesting because they coat it in a mixture of hay, marjoram, hay and chamomile and then age it in oak barrels. None of us could stop eating it because it was so derned interesting. We all agreed we didn't need it in our fridge at all times but it was the most blue my friend had ever happily consumed.

I also put out a couple of things everyone would like...Espresso Sartori (artisan cheddar coated in espresso..it was the favorite) and Lambchopper (sheep gouda from the same folks at Cypress Grove who make Humboldt Fog.)

Corn Chowder
5 slices chopped bacon
1 large onion diced
4 potatoes diced
1 cup water
2 10-ounce packages frozen corn (subbbed roasted)
3 cups milk
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup margarine (we only have butter)
2 1/2 teaspoons salt (we used seasoned at Mom's suggestion)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook bacon and remove from pan. Saute onions in bacon grease. Drain grease. Add potatoes and water. Cook 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredient. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Serice in bowls with bacon over top. (We did the bar thing.) And I'm sure we simmered longer than 10 minutes.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Corn Chowder Bar by cheesemonger (Haha! Recipe follows...)
Where to start...where to start!

"Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier blend" - need to look for this one - thanks.

I have "Stop and Smell the Rosemary" (thanks to your folks) - so I'm set there.

"We have decided we like it better as a dip with tortilla chips" - would that be the Hatch dip your mom and dad make? We love that one. (in fact, it is in the Black Beans & Corn book)

"Robiola Bosina, and Italian soft ripened (not true brie) cheese that is a blend of sheep and cow milk." I love Brie (European not domestic) and we have tried Robiola and love it also.

" called Muffatto which mean "modly" in Italian (or so I'm told.) It has very little blue veining, but is interesting because they coat it in a mixture of hay, marjoram, hay and chamomile and then age it in oak barrels. " - another to look for - thank you!

"...Espresso Sartori (artisan cheddar coated in espresso..it was the favorite) and Lambchopper (sheep gouda from the same folks at Cypress Grove who make Humboldt Fog.)" Oh crap, these too!

All in all, a great post with lots of wonderful ideas - and we do need a trip to Central mkt. soon. Thanks a lot, Allison, for getting back to us on all these goodies. All is duly copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corn Chowder Bar by cjs (Where to start...whe...)
I'll second that, Jean! Thanks for some great ideas, Allison! This is a thread to save!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Corn Chowder Bar by cjs (Where to start...whe...)
Quote:

Where to start...where to start!

"Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier blend" - need to look for this one - thanks.

I have "Stop and Smell the Rosemary" (thanks to your folks) - so I'm set there.

"We have decided we like it better as a dip with tortilla chips" - would that be the Hatch dip your mom and dad make? We love that one. (in fact, it is in the Black Beans & Corn book)

"Robiola Bosina, and Italian soft ripened (not true brie) cheese that is a blend of sheep and cow milk." I love Brie (European not domestic) and we have tried Robiola and love it also.

" called Muffatto which mean "modly" in Italian (or so I'm told.) It has very little blue veining, but is interesting because they coat it in a mixture of hay, marjoram, hay and chamomile and then age it in oak barrels. " - another to look for - thank you!

"...Espresso Sartori (artisan cheddar coated in espresso..it was the favorite) and Lambchopper (sheep gouda from the same folks at Cypress Grove who make Humboldt Fog.)" Oh crap, these too!

All in all, a great post with lots of wonderful ideas - and we do need a trip to Central mkt. soon. Thanks a lot, Allison, for getting back to us on all these goodies. All is duly copied.

Okay - with a couple exceptions I would say this is verbatim. Allison this is such a clever idea! My mind is trying to determine if this would be a good winter after golf event. Thank you for sharing the idea and the recipe, and all the reviews of cheeses.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!