Fires in Texas - Bill & Allison????
  Re: (...)
Those fires are outrageous! Everyone o.k. and are they very close to any of you'all?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fires in Texas - Bill & Allison???? by cjs (Those fires are outr...)
At present the worst are in North Texas near Dallas/Ft Worth. About 500 acres are burning just NW of Houston about 50 miles from us. Everything is such a tinderbox a fire can pop up anytime. A potential tropical system in the Gulf seems to be petering out or moving away from us.

A related observation--driving back from Dallas we went 150 miles on I45 without seeing any cattle. Everything was brown or shades of grey and the temp was 105. You will see this in food prices soon.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Fires in Texas - Bill & Allison???? by Old Bay (At present the worst...)
Poor animals must be miserable this summer.
  Re: Re: Fires in Texas - Bill & Allison???? by Old Bay (At present the worst...)
They aren't any big ones currently close to me in Austin. In the last couple of months though we've had lots of small ones pop up in surrounding areas. It doesn't take much for one to start in these dry conditions. Police are ticketing people for throwing cigarette butts out of moving vehicles.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Fires in Texas - Bill & Allison???? by cheesemonger (They aren't any big ...)
"Police are ticketing people for throwing cigarette butts out of moving vehicles. " - Stupid people, I'm always tempted to turn in license plates of those I see doing it, but a cop told me one time it would be a (s)he said/she said.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fires in Texas - Bill & Allison???? by cjs ("Police are ticketin...)
Good to hear neither of you are affected at this time. We're still low, even after the hurricane, but not nearly what we were. Hang in there you guys! Hopefully, you'll get something soon. Seems crazy to wish for a tropical system, but honestly, y'all need the rain!

Pioneer Woman did a blog about similar dry conditions in OK. She said most of the cattlemen in the hardest hit areas sold off their herds...no water and no grass. She said a bunch of them were meeting at town hall daily for prayer vigils. I agree, beef prices will go thru the roof soon. Stock up while you can. Well, everybody except Jean....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fires in Texas - Bill & Allison???? by Gourmet_Mom (Good to hear neither...)
Piddle, Daphne - really spewed reading that!! And now I'm filling all the spaces/holes with pizza crusts, for G--'s sake!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fires in Texas - Bill & Allison???? by cjs (Piddle, Daphne - rea...)
ROFLOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fires in Texas - Bill & Allison???? by cjs ("Police are ticketin...)
Quote:

"Police are ticketing people for throwing cigarette butts out of moving vehicles. " - Stupid people, I'm always tempted to turn in license plates of those I see doing it, but a cop told me one time it would be a (s)he said/she said.

Bob says "take a picture"

Stay safe Bill, Jane, & Allison - and the rest of your family & friends.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fires in Texas - Bill & Allison???? by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
take a picture? of what? who has a camera at the ready for that?
www.achefsjourney.com