Figs...help!
  Re: (...)
Ok so a friend at the office brought me in about 2 dozen nice size Calif Fig (purple on the outside). I wanted to make some fig jam, or fig spread but the only recipes I can find call for dried figs.

Anyone have a fresh fig jam or fresh fig something I could can?
  Re: Figs...help! by DFen911 (Ok so a friend at th...)
Oh Lorraine!

Denise, Lorraine has mentioned some she's made with wine that they use at their catering gigs! I haven't made them, but I bet they're awesome.

Wait! They're doing the wedding in Baltimore! Oh, dear! Maybe Jean has snagged them? If not, will they hold a few days? OIY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Figs...help! by DFen911 (Ok so a friend at th...)
Denise-don't cook them, don't put them in the fridge--don't keep them too long--let them ripen close to semi soft. Make a cheese tray--(my Cheesemonger could do better than I--maybe she will step in)--get some dolce gorgonzola, manchego, and chevre, add some almonds, white and red grapes, and I love pears. Slice the figs in half and take a picture of the presentation--serve with a dry riesling and a pinot noir--maybe some sort of bland cracker--you with anticipation,will look forward your next gift of figs!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Figs...help! by Old Bay (Denise-don't cook th...)
And, drizzle honey over all or better yet, add a honey comb to the cheese platter. Yum.

and here you go with some ideas:
Goes well with figs:
•Nuts of all kinds
•Cured Meats like pancetta, bacon, and ham
•Aromatics such as garlic, olives, capers
•Warm spices like cinnamon, cloves, cardamom,nutmeg, and star anise
•Citrus in particular lemon and orange
•Full-Flavored Vinegars such as balsamic or sherry
•Rich Dairy Products like cream, marscapone, and creme fraiche
•Aged Cheese figs are famously delicious with blue cheeses, but their sweetness makes them work with any salty aged cheese
•Fortified Wines & Dark Spirits such as brandy, rum, port, and sherry

Bacon-Wrapped Figs
Wrap each fig with a piece of bacon (I like to use a slice of bacon halved lengthwise and wrap it around the fig in a spiral). Place figs on a baking sheets and broil, turning as needed, until bacon is crisped and browned. Serve hot.

Thin strips of pancetta or prosciutto work nicely, too.

Blue Cheese-Stuffed Grilled Figs
Make a slit in the side of each fig. Stuff a bit of your favorite blue cheese into the fig. Brush figs with canola or vegetable oil and grill, turning once, until figs are hot and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.

Broiled Figs
Lay halved figs on a baking sheet. Broil until bubbling and starting to brown. Serve with sweet or savory dishes. For a super-simple dessert, drizzle figs with honey before broiling and serve with marscapone, creme fraiche, or ice cream.

Fig & Pancetta Salad
Add chopped figs and chopped, cooked pancetta or bacon to a simple tossed green salad. A balsamic vinegar dressing is a good match.Balsamic dressing:
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. dijon-style mustard
1 tsp. honey
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1 shallot, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:
In a small bowl whisk all ingredients to combine or put all ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. Use immediately or keep, covered and chilled, up to one week.
Makes 2/3 cup dressing.

Fig Compote
Make a spiced sugar syrup using 1 part sugar to 2 parts water; add a cinnamon stick, orange zest, a vanilla bean, whole cloves, star anise, or cardamom--even black peppercorns can work here. Bring to a boil to dissolve all the sugar. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer. Add whole or halved figs and cook about five minutes. Remove figs, let the syrup cool, and return figs to syrup (if you'd like the figs to breakdown a bit and become one with the syrup, leave them in while the mixture cools. Serve alone, but it's amazing with ice cream.

Fig Coulis
In a blender or food processor, whirl figs with a splash of balsamic or sherry vinegar and enough olive oil to make the puree pourable. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Heat gently and serve with pork, chicken, duck, or turkey.

Fig Crostini
Finely chop figs and toss with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and salt to taste. Let figs sit while you cut baguette slices and toast them. Serve toasts topped with the fig mixture and a grind or two of freshly ground black pepper. You can spread a bit of fresh goat cheese on the toasts first, if you like.

Honey-Fried Figs
Halve figs lengthwise. Melt a tablespoon each of butter and honey in a frying pan and put figs, cut-side down, in the pan. Cook until bubbling and figs start to brown a bit. Serve with cream, whipped cream, yogurt, or ice cream on the side, if you like.

Figs With Marscapone
Halve figs lengthwise and serve with small dollops of marscapone, creme fraiche, or sour cream on top. A chiffonade of mint or bit of lemon zest is a nice touch.

Figs With Parmesan & Balsamic
Cut figs in half or into wedges. Set on a plate with shavings of Parmesan cheese and drizzle with high-quality balsamic vinegar. A few twists of freshly ground black pepper are nice, too.

---
canyou tell we like figs?? And, I love working with them for catering.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Figs...help! by cjs (And, drizzle honey o...)
The problem is I have far too many to eat on my own since Derek doesn't care of them so was trying to find a way to preserve them. I will be getting another big batch probably today Co-Worker has 4 trees and they are laden with em.
  Re: Re: Figs...help! by DFen911 (The problem is I hav...)
Oh Denise, I mentioned a recipe I'm going to make since I'll have the smoker going today - are you by chance smoking anything this weekend?

Smoked Honey Ice Cream - what a taste treat to smoke more honey then needed to the ice cream and drizzle over the figs with a couple of other ingred.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Figs...help! by cjs (Oh Denise, I mentio...)
I am probably smoking a duck on Sunday, just not the peking duck cause I have to place to hang this weekend being so hot.
  Re: Re: Figs...help! by DFen911 (I am probably smokin...)
then you can try some honey - my duck is ready to smoke in one more hour, so I'll be able to tell you how it comes out. I think I'm more anxious to try the honey than the duck....almost.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Figs...help! by cjs (then you can try som...)
Jean, I saw the instructions to smoke the honey over pecan chips for 1 1/2 hours, but am curious what kind of container do you put the honey in to do this?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Figs...help! by Mare749 (Jean, I saw the inst...)
I don't have any pecan, so I'm using the apple that is doing the duck right now. I'm doing 2/3 cup in one of my breading pans - it just looked perfect - 8 1/2"X5 1/2" & 1" deep. Wrapped with lots of foil so I don't harm the finish on it.

[Image: CIMG1411.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com