What are we canning, freezing, or preserving?
  Re: (...)
I am just wondering and hopefully getting ideas from others. What are you all canning, freezing, preserving, etc. Hopefully we can post recipes and share ideas.

I am currently pureeing tomatoes and freezing the puree to make oodles of sauce for the winter and canned gifts for teachers and such.

Jean, maybe we could post this one with a sticky for a while? If anyone is interested.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: What are we canning, freezing, or preserving? by luvnit (I am just wondering ...)
I had too many household projects this summer. So the only thing I put up was corn.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What are we canning, freezing, or preserving? by Gourmet_Mom (I had too many house...)
I've canned some cherry almond preserves, apricot salsa, white peaches and tomorrow I think I'll do some fig chutney.

I wish I had a pressure canner because there is a farm out here with glorious green beans!

Later I hope to make some of my bbq sauce and make a double batch and can some. However my nephew came over and was watching me. He asked "where are the cans?" I said well we use jars...so he responds "then shouldn't this process be called jarring then?"
  Re: Re: What are we canning, freezing, or preserving? by DFen911 (I've canned some che...)
denise, the canning/jarring thing has always been a bone of contention with some folks. I did lots of cherries, peaches, blueberries, and plums in PMV wine. This week I'll start on tomatoes. The Farm Museum in Maryland where we did the wedding had cookbooks using heirloom tomatoes so I bought one. Lots of interesting recipes in it. I also need to make more watermelon jam.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What are we canning, freezing, or preserving? by Lorraine (denise, the canning/...)
Tomatoes - the bane of my existance this year - crazy darn weather! I finaly picked a handful of cherry tomatoes. That's it so far this year. Well, the heirolooms, but they are in the greenhouse.

I still have some fruit left, so won't be putting any up this season. Next year we will be completely out. My tomatillas went crazy this year, so have 2 large bags in the freezer.

If the tomatoes ever get ripe, will have to get some marinara sauce going.
Now, that we're thinking about canning, guess I ought to thnk about a few jars of 'catering' jams/jelly, went thru all I had last year.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What are we canning, freezing, or preserving? by cjs (Tomatoes - the bane ...)
I put the Peach Jam I made with Peach Wine on the buffet yesterday. They went through 4 jars of it. Guess I'll be making more.

We planted peppers this year. I bought the seeds from a local company. The peppers are short and fat, not much bigger than my thumbnail. There are 4 different colored peppers on the same plant, red, yellow, purple and green. They are too hot for me, I think I'll make some jelly with them.
  Re: Re: What are we canning, freezing, or preserving? by Lorraine (I put the Peach Jam ...)
I forgot I'm also stocking up with grilled corn in the freezer ( ) - such good prices right now and 3 ears gives me a little over a lb. kernels.

I do have to think about some jame, as you are Lorraine, I sure do like having it for 'dos'.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What are we canning, freezing, or preserving? by cjs (I forgot I'm also st...)
Today is Italian Plums in Sweet Red Reserve wine, tomorrow is Peaches in Peach Wine and Blackberries in Blackberry wine. I'm hoping that gets us throught the winter.
  Re: Re: What are we canning, freezing, or preserving? by Lorraine (Today is Italian Plu...)
I just want you to know, Lorraine, I am rationing the jars of pepper jelly that I made from the recipe you shared a few years ago. I brought one in to work the other day with the requisite cream cheese, and broke it out to munch on, when the Sysco rep came for my food order. And then one of my tournament organizers came at the same time. I got side tracked for a few minutes and the two of them ate my whole jar of jelly - I think I got about 4 crackers! Too bad I don't have the time to do this again this year - I really miss the canning and preserving!
  Re: Re: What are we canning, freezing, or preserving? by iBcookin (I just want you to k...)
Just for that, you should get the Sysco rep to start carrying that jelly to sell to other customers. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?