What's for Dinner, Wed. 9/7??
  Re: (...)
what's on the menu for today?

Not a clue here, probably leftovers or soup. Nothing exciting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Wed. 9/7?? by cjs (what's on the menu f...)
It's very hot here and our A/C is not working correctly. Repairman coming this morning. $$$$. I'm thinking about just some ham and cheese paninis on sourdough. Plug in the panini press and be done with it.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed. 9/7?? by Trixxee (It's very hot here a...)
We have had a wonderful break from the heat these past few days, so I'm thinking soup, but haven't decided on one yet. Going through Cuisine's Splendid Soups. Lasagna soup is looking pretty good, but so is the Seafood Gumbo from Soups, Stews and Chilies. Hmmm....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed. 9/7?? by Mare749 (We have had a wonder...)
I look forward to having soup again. Choir tonight, so salad buffet.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed. 9/7?? by Gourmet_Mom (I look forward to ha...)
I'm making Kentucky Bourbon Steak au Poivre with garlic mashed and green beans... and some tomatoes!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed. 9/7?? by HomeCulinarian (I'm making Kentucky ...)
It's drizzly and (relatively) cold in Hotlanta; we only got to about 70 for a high. I'm already missing summer, but I wish we'd received more rain from the tropical storm.

Tonight we has a chicken stir-fry with bell peppers and pecans. I meant to serve it with brown rice, but we only had Uncle Ben's, so Uncle Ben's it is!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed. 9/7?? by karyn (It's drizzly and (re...)
Ok so I had some pork chops, some plums and fresh green beans...what to do?

So I steamed the beans until just tender and held them. Then I took 3 Tbs of bacon drippings and cooked 1/2 of small diced onion, turned the heat off and let them set.

Next for the chops -

2 thick cut pork chops
1 large clove of garlic
1 tsp fresh ginger
6 ripe fresh plums pitted and cut into 1/8's
1/8 c low sodium soy sauce
1 T brown sugar
1 T sherry wine vinegar
S&P

Browned chops on both sides, set aside, added garlic and ginger to the pan and let it cook for about 30 seconds. Add soy, brown sugar, vinegar and plums and let them start to get soft, add the pork chops back to the pan, cover and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Pull and cover and turn heat back to med/high to let the sauce reduce. While sauce is reducing reheat the onions and add beans back to heat thru.

Yum!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed. 9/7?? by DFen911 (Ok so I had some por...)
Sounds like some good flavors there, Denise. Interesting - a modern update on my 'over-cooked' green beans (with the g. beans, bacon and onion)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed. 9/7?? by cjs (Sounds like some goo...)
That does sound good Denise!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed. 9/7?? by cjs (Sounds like some goo...)
Denise that does sound good.

It always amazes me that no matter the quantity of those green beans with bacon & onion you cook it will be gone.

This was a version my Mom used to make - I haven't made it in years - but I just got green beans yesterday so I think it may be in our future.

Pennsylvania Dutch Green Beans

3 strips bacon
1 sm. onion, sliced
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 (1 lb.) can cut green beans
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 hard cooked egg, sliced

Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and crumble. Drain off all but 1 teaspoon drippings, add onion and brown lightly. Stir in cornstarch salt and dry mustard. Drain beans, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Stir reserved liquid into skillet. Cook, stirring until mixture boils. Blend in brown sugar and vinegar. Add green beans and heat thoroughly. Turn into serving dish and garnish with egg and crumbled bacon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!