Back after some computer problems
  Re: (...)
Had hardware problems on the Windows AND Linux computers. Have replaced a lot of things, but haven't lost any data.

After all the changes, I now have two Pentium dual-core computers, each with 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive, plus each has the original hard drives, from their respective machines (one of which, for each, was also 500GB - thus, each new machine now has more than 1TB of hard-drive storage).

The one came with Windows 7 Ultimate, which is working VERY well - MUCH better than Vista, though there are still a few things I preferred about XP.

On the other, I installed the latest version of 64-bit Debian Linux and, needless to say, I am REALLY loving that! I was concerned that something would get lost or messed up by using the old hard drive (from an older, 32-bit version of Debian), but everything went very smoothly and is working better than ever. Even the main objects of my concern: Firefox bookmarks and Thunderbird email accounts were completely intact.

Haven't done much special cooking over this time, but I did make a stove-top casserole out of an onion, a yellow bell pepper, some ground pork, some beef bouillon, some mini-shell pasta, a small can of Herdez Salsa Casera, a small can of Herdez Salsa Verde (picked that up accidentally in the store; thought I had gotten two cans of the Salsa Casera), some cream cheese and some pepper-Jack cheese. It was delicious and it was good to have the leftovers on hand during the days I was so wrapped up in getting the computers working again.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Back after some computer problems by labradors (Had hardware problem...)
Welcome back Labs! Computer problems are so frustrating to me.
  Re: Re: Back after some computer problems by Trixxee (Welcome back Labs! ...)
Good to see you back, Labs! That's some major computer power you've got there!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Back after some computer problems by Gourmet_Mom (Good to see you back...)
Well, didn't read the post except that you had computer problems...you're not surprised are you? (that I didn't read it - wanna see my eyes glaze over?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Back after some computer problems by cjs (Well, didn't read th...)
Welcome Back Labs. I hate computer problems!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Back after some computer problems by labradors (Had hardware problem...)
Welcome back Labs! Hope everything is cleared up!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Back after some computer problems by BarbaraS (Welcome back Labs! ...)
Thanks, all. It's good to be back.
  Re: Re: Back after some computer problems by labradors (Thanks, all. It's g...)
Wow, I'm not sure I understand everything you said, but as the others have said, it's good to have you back!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Back after some computer problems by Mare749 (Wow, I'm not sure I ...)
So glad you're back

I with they'd just update the operating system but leave the interface alone. Or at least give you the option of using the new operating system the same way as you did. I hate the Windows 7 interface.
  Re: Re: Back after some computer problems by DFen911 (So glad you're back ...)
Denise, if everything I've heard about it is true, then if you hate Windows 7, you're really going to hate Windows 8. Supposedly, they're going to get rid of the desktop and replace it with the "ribbon" idea that they've used in the latest version of Microsoft Office. Bleccchhh!