Hot crab dip recipes, anyone?
  Re: (...)
I'm talking probably 250 portions, maybe 1/4 c portions since there's lots of other apps (does that sound right? ). I've got my basic recipe but I want to make it special, Presidential events and all. (UNH, that is)

Any ideas? I know I have 12# of crabmeat on hand. Will add Parm, scallions, probably horseradish and Tabasco.

Any ideas out there, Lorraine, Jean, Denise? Or anyone else that has a fabulous crab dip?

Thank you! Entering hell week at UNH. No sleep for the weary....

PJ
PJ
  Re: Hot crab dip recipes, anyone? by pjcooks (I'm talking probably...)
I'll post my catering dip in the a.m., PJ.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hot crab dip recipes, anyone? by cjs (I'll post my caterin...)
Thank you!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Hot crab dip recipes, anyone? by pjcooks (Thank you![img]/ubbt...)
PJ, I LOVE Jean's recipe, but I like mine better. Sorry Jean. I posted it for Bill and Jane a while back. Let me see if I can find it.

Found the thread where I posted the recipe. For what it's worth:

Blue Crab Dip for Bill and Jane

Jean, this is the recipe that I bounced off the Crab Pizza idea that I sent in to the contest. You tried the pizza idea.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hot crab dip recipes, anyone? by Gourmet_Mom (PJ, I LOVE Jean's re...)
Ooooh! I love hot crab dip and have been thinking of looking for some recipes. This will make it easier!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Hot crab dip recipes, anyone? by labradors (Ooooh! I love hot cr...)
Got to say, I've been wanting to combine Daphne's and mine to give a try and haven't yet. But, I made Crab BLTs last night and hav 3/4 lb. of crab meat left...so I may play when we get home tonight.

Anyway, here's the one that I've used forever - I'm sure I don't need to mention to you, PJ, how if shrimp, crab or lobster are on a buffet in any form, it will vanish in a N.Y. minute!!!

Hot Crab Dip

I have made this dip hundreds of times over the years, catering and for family gatherings. It's wonderful on sourdough rounds.

12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 T. mustard
1 tsp. confectioner’s sugar (powdered)
1 clove garlic minced
1 T. minced onion
1/4 cup white wine
8 oz. (1/2 lb.) crabmeat
1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a food processer, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, garlic and onion
until mixed well. Transfer to an oven proof serving bowl and stir in the wine, then gently
mix in the crabmeat and top with Parmesan. You don’t want to break up the crab pieces
completely.

Bake the dip uncovered until hot and cheese begins to brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 3 cups.

a Chef’s Journey tip: a great combination to change the dip once in a while is to add chopped
artichoke hearts to the dip and sprinkle with toasted almonds and Parmesan before heating.

----

If you run across any new, different and good ideas for your buffet, be sure to let us know!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hot crab dip recipes, anyone? by cjs (Got to say, I've bee...)
His his version:

3lb loaf of cream cheese (from Sam's); 2 qt cream sauce; 2lbs(minimum) claw crabmeat;1/2 c Sherry; Old Bay to sprinkle on top
Heat Cream sauce, break cream cheese into lumps and whisk into sauce; When it is a thick, smooth sauce, break crab into the mix; add sherry; allow mixture to warm all through. Transfer to a chafer and sprinkle, LIGHTLY, with Old Bay.

Haven't made it in awhile, but it seems to me it filled a round chafing dish with some leftover.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Hot crab dip recipes, anyone? by pjcooks (I'm talking probably...)
PJ,

This one is from Noble Pig's website:

Hot Crab Dip
adapted from Al Roker's Hassle Free Holiday Cookbook

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp hot-pepper sauce
3 scallions, finely chopped
12 oz lump crabmeat (2 cups)
1/2 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
3 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Sliced French or sourdough bread

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Have ready a 3-cup baking dish.

Mix cream cheese and mayonnaise in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in lemon juice, pepper sauce and scallions; fold in crabmeat, salt and pepper. Spread in baking dish; sprinkle with cheese.

Bake 20 minutes until bubbly and top is golden. Serve hot or warm with sliced bread.

I haven't made it yet, just waiting for a party to bring it to.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Hot crab dip recipes, anyone? by BarbaraS (PJ,[br][br]This one ...)
Thank you all! I have printed all your recipes and will study them this weekend. I appreciate the time you all took to print up your favorites, and research old threads.

Jean, I'm intrigued by your addition of sugar, then again, I always add a T or 2 to my tuna salad and no one ever figures out why it tastes so good

Thanks again, everyone!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Hot crab dip recipes, anyone? by pjcooks (Thank you all! I ha...)
They all sound great, but Jean's sounds closest to the one with which I'm most familiar. Even so, I am almost positive that what I have had included Worcestershire sauce, not mustard. There's one place where THAT recipe may be that I haven't checked, yet, so I'll have to see if it's there.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?