T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 9/23
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for today?

I thawed my last flank steak from the freezer (yeah! another item crossed off the list. ) Probably grill it. Don't know what else, tho.

P.S. Just noticed how many folks look at "What's for Dinner?" threads - I wonder if we do give lots of them ideas??? How interesting. We must come up if someone googles "What's for dinner?," huh?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 9/23 by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
I was leaning towards a Vietnamese pork tenderloin salad but have since changed my mind to Noble Pig's Vietnamese Beef, only with chicken. LOL. Very similar ingredients in the marinade or dressing. Stir fried cabbage and jasmine rice.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 9/23 by Trixxee (I was leaning toward...)
That sounds good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 9/23 by cjs (That sounds good....)
And seeing how it's the first weekend of fall, I may have to make the Jewish Apple Cake recipe my grandmother made for decades. I finally bought an angel food cake pan. Don't attempt to make this in a non-stick bundt pan. It comes out way too over done on the edges and it makes the whole thing dry.

I'll have to dig hers out but I think it's pretty similar to this one. Hers definitely uses the 1/4 cup of oj.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/jewish-appl...etail.aspx
Quote:

I thawed my last flank steak from the freezer

So... You've been outflanked?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 9/23 by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
yes, I have been.
www.achefsjourney.com
I am going to make the Pork Chops & Apple from Issue 89 October 2011. It will be the 5th I have made from this issue and they have all been wonderful. However, I am a bit perplexed on this one. The recipe never mentions what to do with the sauteed, chopped bacon. If it goes in the oven with the vegetables for 20-25 minutes it would surely over cook. Yet the top picture on the right hand page seems to show the bacon in with the vegetables. So does it go into the sauce? The photo shows no bacon on top of the chop.

The second question is when to put the chops on top of the vegetables. After they have cooked for 20-25 minutes? Would not an additional 6 minutes in the over over cook the vegetables? Or maybe 6 minutes before the vegetables are done. So would I put then in 14 minutes or 19 minutes before taking everything out.

The recipes in C@H are always so crystal clear. This one surprised me. Has anyone tried this recipe that can give me some help?
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 9/23 by ArtinLA (I am going to make t...)
Sorry I can't help, Art, but wanted to welcome you to the forum anyway! We love reviews, good and bad, so please come back and tell us what you think of a recipe after you have tried it and if you had to "tweak it" at all.

We're having turkey burgers and oven roasted veggies tonight. I really need to start trying some of the new Cuisine recipes again. I really got off track during the rental rehab.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 9/23 by Mare749 (Sorry I can't help, ...)
Welcome, Art! It is so nice to see so many new people joining! I'm afraid I can't offer any help either. I'm with you, though...most strange.

Shrimparoo at my houseI. YUM!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 9/23 by Mare749 (Sorry I can't help, ...)
Welcome to the forum, Art - the instructions really are a little vague, aren't they? Regarding when to add the bacon, I think I'd add it to the skillet as you are adding the thyme, salt and pepper.

As far as when to add the chops to the top of the roasting veggies, I think you have two choices. If you have an instant thermometer, temp the pork chops and if they are almost 145°F., I'd just lay them on top of the veggies for a couple minutes to allow a little of the pork jus to dribble into the veggies and to finish cooking.

Or, pierce the veggies with a sharp knife and when they are still not quite the tenderness you desire, I'd lay the chops on top and go for it.

(If you don't have an instant read thermometer, I'd sure encourage you to get one.)

Hope you'll let us know how this turns out for you.
www.achefsjourney.com