Home :)
  Re: (...)
Well we are home safe and sound! The place looks great, although I wish we had furniture up there

Jean I got your email just a bit ago. I'm so sorry, I didn't have any internet availability up there.

My small camera, well the card for it, decided to die after one picture - Boo! But Derek just happened to pack my big camera - Yay!! But I didn't know he had packed my big camera and so I didn't bring up the charger for it - Boo! What a fiasco

We went up with several plans of things to do, and did not get one of them done. Instead we came home with many other questions. Like...how come I can't seem to drink well water, but Derek can?

Found 2 new wines, Thank you Jean for the Abacela Tempranillo recommendation - YUM! The other was from Henry Estates a Pinot Noir and a Boca Noir.

I am so surprised by things that are so available up there and not down here, like sugar free candies in a huge variety. However down here I have a much bigger selection of hot sauces and salsa's than up there.

Beef up there seems to taste better. Still not a great selection of seafood up there, except something called Rock Fish which looks like Bass.

It fascinates me how you can tell what time of day it is based on the birds. You see in the very early hours the geese fly over head, honking and calling to each other. (5am-8am) Then the swallows all come swooping and chirping for the early bugs.(9am-10am) Next are the crows, laughing and clicking. (9am-11am). After this you hear what must be a massive wing span over head. No sounds just the flapping as these next 4 birds get higher into the thermals..they are called Turkey Vultures. Their wing span must be 6-8 feet. They hunt small rodents and good ol road kill. The skies are quiet after around 2pm until the evening hours when the geese make their way to various roosting areas. The peacocks start screaming, and I do mean screaming. I thought small children were being murdered the first night. Then as dusk falls and we enjoy our wine on the front porch the high squeals start and the bats start their flight. It's really a fun day to just sit and watch all this.

We have deer in the early morning, but the minute they hear us in the house they get skittish and bound away.

I cannot believe we are at the the one year count down. If my employer keeps me, I can officially say I have less than one year left to work for him, of course he doesn't know this yet. Derek has 1 year and 1 month left on the patrol. Things are gonna start happening FAST around here
  Re: Home :) by DFen911 (Well we are home saf...)
I have been just dying to hear what all you did up there!! Sounds like you still love it as much as before! One more year and it will go by so fast.

Welcome home and you were missed.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Denise, that is so exciting!!!

It sounds like a wonderful trip. We love all our birds around here. The robins are especially vocal for us in the mornings and the evenings. It rained today for the first time in a while and there are tons of them out hunting worms and bugs. The flikers too.

Sorry about the well water. . Where again are you? Closer to Roseburg or Medford - or somewhere else?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Home :) by esgunn (Denise, that is so ...)
The bird action reminds me of Hawaii. Very loud in the morning hours, very loud at dusk.

Rockfish = red snapper = rock cod (which is similar to some basses to me). I think the B-52's mention rockfish in their Rock Lobster song. LOL.
  Re: Re: Home :) by Trixxee (The bird action remi...)
Quote:

The bird action reminds me of Hawaii. Very loud in the morning hours, very loud at dusk.

Rockfish = red snapper = rock cod (which is similar to some basses to me). I think the B-52's mention rockfish in their Rock Lobster song. LOL.

It can be a variety of rock cod, snapper, etc. If the flesh looks a little "blue" it could be a ling cod which is the most perfect (to me) cod there is!

Isn't it funny what's available where?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Home :) by Trixxee (The bird action remi...)
Rockfish is one of William's favorites! It sounds like you guys had a great trip....shame about the cameras. Glad you made the trip safely! And I sure hope it flies by! I'm a year behind you guys!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Welcome home, Denise! I love hearing about your future home. It sounds like you have nature all around. As for the deer, after you move in permanently, if you buy sacks of corn for them in the winter, they will become your new best friends very quickly. The downside to this, they eat everything in sight in the summer. We can't even grow a decent garden and the only kind of flowers we can have are hanging baskets with petunias. They eat just about everything else. I've counted as many as twelve deer at a time in our backyard. It's kind of weird considering Ron's a hunter.

Don't stress about getting things done. You have the rest of your life to do all that fun stuff.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Home :) by Mare749 (Welcome home, Denise...)
Darn well now I wish we had tried that fish But will for sure next time.

Erin we'll be in a town just north and east of Roseburg called Sutherlin. It's about 58 miles south of Eugene.

Lol Maryann I wondered about that. I know that we'll have to put a deer fence around the garden I plan on having and when we get the irrigation figured out for the grapes they'll have to be protected too. I had thought about just putting salt licks out for them.

So much to do, and can't wait to explore possibilities. First things first, get us retired and sell the house as close to the day as possible
  Re: Re: Home :) by DFen911 (Darn well now I wish...)
Glad you had a great time. The year will go by in a flash! The birds here have the same routine, other than we don't have peacocks.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Home :) by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

If the flesh looks a little "blue" it could be a ling cod which is the most perfect (to me) cod there is!

I'm with you - I love lingcod!