HELP! PLEASE! ALL USERS!
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a copy of Ciusine at Homes "Splendid Soups and Spectacular Sides"? I took my copy with me to the grocery store yesterday to buy the ingredients for the Oyster Chowder recipe and left it at the check-out stand. In the 15 minutes it took me to realize this, someone stole it! Now I have all the stuff and no idea how to fix it. Does ANYONE have a copy of that recipe? You can respond by forum, or to [Email]
  Re: HELP! PLEASE! ALL USERS! by Cindi (Does anyone have a c...)
Welcome to the forum, Cindi - but, wish it were under better circumstances! I removed your email address as it is dangerous to have that floating around the internet.

I have the book and the recipe - I'll be right back with it.

Here you go and I hope you'll come back again!! One more thing - until (or if) you get another copy of the book, you might do a search "Splendid Soups" here on the forum, a lot of times we will post the recipes we try for those without the book.

Oyster Chowder – Splendid Soups & Spectacular Sides
Makes 5 1/2 cups

Sweat in 4 T. unsalted butter; and add:
2 cups celery, diced
2 cups leeks, sliced, rinsed
Add:
1 1/2 cups carrot, thinly sliced
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
Salt to taste
Stir in:
1 pint shucked fresh oysters (with liquor)
Brush with olive oil; Broil:
4 baguette slices, 3/4" thick
Garnish with:
Chopped fresh parsley
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat broiler to High.
Sweat celery and leeks in butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook 3-4 minutes, covered until the vegetables are translucent and soft.

Add carrots, cream, and milk. Simmer 3-4 min., or until slightly thickened; season with salt.
Stir in the oysters and their liquor, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 min.

Brush bread with oil and broil on both sides until golden. Place a slice in the bottom of each serving bowl, then pour the soup over. Garnish with parsley and pepper – serve immediately.

C@H notes: when sweating the veggies, it’s important to cover the pan to allow steam to soften them.
Simmer the veggies, uncovered in the cream and milk until the liquid reduces slightly.
Gently simmer oysters until their edges curl. Take care not to overcook them or they’ll turn rubbery.
Two things about oysters: first, always pour the liquor (the liquid surrounding oysters) thru a mesh strainer to catch stray pieces of shell and sand. Second, don’t overcook them! While I said cook for 5 min., that’s an estimate. They’re done when the edges start to curl.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: HELP! PLEASE! ALL USERS! by cjs (Welcome to the forum...)
Jean before you removed it did you email her the recipe also?

Cindi you will love this board so I hope we see more of you
  Re: Re: HELP! PLEASE! ALL USERS! by DFen911 (Jean before you remo...)
No... She'll just have to come back and visit. darn
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: HELP! PLEASE! ALL USERS! by cjs (No... [img]/ubbthrea...)
Hopefully, she'll check back in. Hi, Cindi! I hope when you check back in, you'll join in the chats. This is a fun informative group. And we love getting fresh ideas from new members! Shame about the magazine. Welcome!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: HELP! PLEASE! ALL USERS! by cjs (Welcome to the forum...)
THANK YOU CJS! Not only did you provide my missing recipe,and save me from a forum faux pas (email disclosure...I obviously haven't done this before), you restored my faith in my fellow human beings. Your kindness and effort have erased the anger I felt towards the cookbook thief and I look forward to preparing my soup tonight. Also thanks to all the other members who welcomed me to your forum.
  Re: Re: HELP! PLEASE! ALL USERS! by Cindi (THANK YOU CJS! Not o...)
Glad to see you got what you needed Cindi And if that surprised you stick around for the encores they're amazing
  Re: Re: HELP! PLEASE! ALL USERS! by DFen911 (Glad to see you got ...)
Welcome to the forum, Cindi! Glad you were able to find the recipe. Hope you continue to join our yummy discussions.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: HELP! PLEASE! ALL USERS! by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
Welcome Cindi! Come back soon and join in the fun.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: HELP! PLEASE! ALL USERS! by Mare749 (Welcome Cindi! Come...)
Well done Jean, as always, and welcome Cindi.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".