On The Way Home...
  Re: (...)
On the way home from the 'big cities' today, we stopped to see the traveling Vietnam Veterans Memorial which is here in town until Sunday. It is absolutely mind boggling and so moving. I've always said, if nothing else, I wanted to see this before I die, and I can't imagine the 'big' one moving me more, but I suppose it will or would.

I hope everyone will take a minute or 60 to see it when it comes to your area. We lost a number of high school chums, but didn't run across any of their names, but there are so many...so darn many.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: On The Way Home... by cjs (On the way home from...)
Jean I can imagine how heart rending that must have been. I have so many friends that . . . my first "boyfriend" in jr. high was (last I heard) MIA. Vietnam will always invoke a sense of loss - of so many things.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: On The Way Home... by Harborwitch (Jean I can imagine h...)
Oddly enough, I was talking about this Wednesday in regards to an essay the kids are writing for a Veteran's Day essay contest. I told the kids about taking my children to Washington, DC. Jean, if you get the chance, go on Memorial Day! That's when "Rolling Thunder" comes to town. You will never forget it!

BTW, I was in middle school during the war, living in a town of a marine base with a brother with friends of draft age. It was an emotional time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: On The Way Home... by Gourmet_Mom (Oddly enough, I was ...)
Oh man, I can't imagine being there on Memorial day!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: On The Way Home... by cjs (Oh man, I can't imag...)
Remember the "draft numbers?" You knew exactly what numbers all your friends were and how close they were to being called up.
  Re: Re: On The Way Home... by iBcookin (Remember the "draft ...)
To this day I remember the homecoming of Charles Rice in 1973 who was a POW for 5 1/2 years. Our town, his home town, of Setauket, NY had banners and signs and flowers and a parade for his return. I was 10 and it all has a permanent place in my mind.

http://militarytimes.com/citations-medal...ntid=23823
  Re: Re: On The Way Home... by Trixxee (To this day I rememb...)
Thanks for bringing this up, Jean. It still gives me chills to even think about it. Ron was in the last draft, but fortunately they did not call his number. I spent that whole year worrying about it as we knew others who were called.

Two years later, I worked at the VA hospital for a while, but was too young and too sensitive to stay very long. So unbelievably sad.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."