Moroccan Carrot Salad
  Re: (...)
[Image: dscf5271r.jpg]

This simple recipe came up on today's RSS feed for the Recetas de Cocina blog, this morning. It sounded good, so I translated it into English to post here. Other than a few minor word changes for clarity and some reformatting, I have not altered the text, so it is the same as it appears on the blog and the "I" references belong to the original author. For more pictures, see the original blog post.

Moroccan Carrot Salad
Makes 2 servings

When we think of a salad, lettuce always comes to mind but in reality we have a great variety from which to choose. The one that I bring today is a typical carrot salad from Morocco - very easy to make and a bit different from what we usually have in salads.

Ingredients:
  • 4 Carrots (good size, but not too big)
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
  • 2 Cloves Garlic
  • 1 Teaspoon Ground cumin
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
  • Parsley, to taste
  • Salt, to taste
Instructions:
  1. Wash the carrots, peel and slice as you like. I decided this time cut into thin sticks but can also be cut into slices or small dice. Once you have cut all the carrots, boil them in some water.
  2. Separately, heat a saucepan with the olive oil, chop the garlic and parsley as tiny as you can and when the oil is hot, add them to the pan. Leave it on very low heat, stirring to avoid burning.
  3. Once the carrots are tender, drain them and add them to the saucepan along with the pepper, cumin and salt. Mix well and let cook a minute for the carrots to take on the flavour.
  4. After that time, your Moroccan carrot salad is ready.
At serving time:
  • Depending on the season this salad may be served warm or cold.
Tips and suggestions:
  • Normally, I also like to add the juice of half a lemon, but did not have any so I didn't use it.
  • I really like this as a side dish or garnish for meat or fish. It goes especially well with veal.
The best part:
  • With few ingredients you get a rather curious salad, different and very delicious, that we welcome in our current crisis.
Buen provecho and happy Sunday!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Moroccan Carrot Salad by labradors ([img]http://img132.i...)
I'm not a carrot person, but I bet Roy would like this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Moroccan Carrot Salad by cjs (I'm not a carrot per...)
I think I'll have to try this. We like carrots and cumin.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Moroccan Carrot Salad by Gourmet_Mom (I think I'll have to...)
We like carrots, thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Moroccan Carrot Salad by Lorraine (We like carrots, tha...)
I am not a big cooked carrot fan, but I think that I would probably like this. I would see this as being a cold salad, maybe done with matchstick carrots, and if you did them that small I wonder if you could just toss them in the oil for a few minutes to just wilt them a bit rather than parboil them.

Sounds like a different dish for a salad bar that would be very cheap to make.

Thanks Labs!
  Re: Re: Moroccan Carrot Salad by iBcookin (I am not a big cooke...)
might be a 'go with' for Lab's chicken wrap??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Moroccan Carrot Salad by iBcookin (I am not a big cooke...)
Quote:

would see this as being a cold salad, maybe done with matchstick carrots

That's what I was thinking. Might be great on the buffet rather than the regular carrot/raisin salad.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Moroccan Carrot Salad by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
I'm sure I would like it better. I don't like raisin/carrot salad. But I'd try this.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.