Basil Jelly Project
  Re: (...)
Trixxee mentioned Basil Jelly a couple days ago and sent me on a journey.... sounded so good.

Just made a batch of this one (I posted two recipes in the What are We growing/canning thread) #1 and it is excellent. And, I don't know why we always have to add Jalapenos to everything, but the thought jumped in my mind immediately.

[Image: BasilJelly1.jpg]

Basil Jelly #1

We grow lots of basil for our local farmers market, and this is a unique way to use it. The jelly is really good with cream cheese as an appetizer. I also like to combine a jar with 1 cup of barbecue sauce and simmer mini meatballs or cocktail wieners in the mixture. -Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin

4 cups water
2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
3 drops green food coloring, optional
5 cups sugar

In a large saucepan, bring water and basil to a boil. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain and discard basil. Return 3-2/3 cups liquid to the pan. Stir in pectin and food coloring if desired. Return to a rolling boil over high heat. Stir in the sugar. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from the heat; skim off foam.

Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 6 half-pints.

Editor's Note: The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.

Reviews:
This jelly turned out so well. I loved the texture and the basil flavor. It's great to open this up during the winter and be reminded of this wonderful summer flavor.

Lorraine, Linda and Sharon, think about this for catering, lots to play with here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Basil Jelly Project by cjs (Trixxee mentioned Ba...)
Beautiful! I never did get enough to play with much. It's winding down now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Basil Jelly Project by Gourmet_Mom (Beautiful! I never ...)
We had to buy a plant or it would have wiped me out completely, but I so wanted to try it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Basil Jelly Project by cjs (We had to buy a plan...)
Wow the color is just amazing! This would be so lovely in a Christmas gift basket
  Re: Re: Basil Jelly Project by DFen911 (Wow the color is jus...)
Beautiful and really, what a gift for a foodie!
  Re: Re: Basil Jelly Project by iBcookin (Beautiful and really...)
So pretty! For those who need a bunch of basil, Trader Joe's sells a good sized container for $2.29 I believe.
  Re: Basil Jelly Project by cjs (Trixxee mentioned Ba...)
Jean it is beautiful!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Basil Jelly Project by esgunn (Jean it is beautiful...)
and good! thank you.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Basil Jelly Project by cjs (and good! thank you....)
Looks great, Jean. I love the jars, i haven't seen that shape around here. I don't have enough basil, so I'll order some from US Foods with next week's order.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Basil Jelly Project by Lorraine (Looks great, Jean. ...)
Lorraine, I noticed the jars, too. I think the ones on bottom are similar to our small ones, but the cutie on top is something I've never seen around here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.