My First Potatoes
  Re: (...)
Got my first potato yesterday and it's a beauty. Almost laying on top of the 'potato mountain,' so there are probably lots of great ones in there.

When I've grown potatoes before, I just completely dismantle the 'mountain' and sift out all the potatoes at one time. But, that was when there was more than 2 of us and I used them up so quickly.

My question is, whether it would be better to leave the potatoes buried in the tires and just remove one tire at a time and harvest those on top. Or, should I dismantle the whole things and try to use them up.

I've never been sucessful in keeping them very long even when I did them in straw in a dark basement.....so, anyone grow them and know which I ought to try?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: My First Potatoes by cjs (Got my first potato ...)
The next time I see some of our potato farmers I can ask them.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My First Potatoes by Harborwitch (The next time I see ...)
great idea, Sharon - thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My First Potatoes by cjs (great idea, Sharon -...)
No problem. It may be a few days before they come in since we're closed today and tomorrow.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My First Potatoes by Harborwitch (No problem. It may ...)
Mom told us to harvest the big ones.....unless you WANT baby potatoes for a dish. She said you can even cover them back up with no harm done.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My First Potatoes by Gourmet_Mom (Mom told us to harve...)
That's what I was hoping to hear, Daphne. Thanks. gonna have lots of potato dishes around here!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My First Potatoes by cjs (That's what I was ho...)
During the summer/fall I would just pick enough for dinner. Nothing like having potatoes that were still growing at 4:00 being eaten at 5:00. So yummy!But when we cleaned out the garden Bruce would dig all of them and we would store them single layers in bread trays stacked on top of one another in the basement. The air could get to them that way, basement was cooler and darker and it was relatively easy to lift a tray off if you did start to smell something suspicious and could dispose of any that were starting to turn.
  Re: Re: My First Potatoes by iBcookin (During the summer/fa...)
thanks Linda.
www.achefsjourney.com