Knorr Demi-glace
  Re: (...)
Recently, I asked Jean for help making a large quantity of gravy and she recommended this product. Well, I finally picked it up today at GFS for $18. Not bad at all, especially since it makes 2 gallons of gravy!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Knorr Demi-glace by Mare749 (Recently, I asked Je...)
Hope you're f-i-l likes the gravy, Maryann!! it sure works well for me in so many cases.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Knorr Demi-glace by cjs (Hope you're f-i-l li...)
Oooo!! Oooo!! Oooo!! Is this stuff good??? How do you use a demi-glace? I was so hoping to find it somewhere because Wegman's really pushes their own brand, which is pretty good, but not the brand name I'm looking for.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Knorr Demi-glace by BarbaraS (Oooo!! Oooo!! Oooo!!...)
Ok, Maryanne, What store is GFS? Jean, what store do you get it from around here?

Is it dried, frozen, or refrigerated?

My kids LOVE gravy!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Knorr Demi-glace by esgunn (Ok, Maryanne, What ...)
I've been looking for years! I figure I'll have to get it online. I keep forgetting. BTW, I've been meaning to ask, or have I, what is the main difference between this and the Tones Beef Base that I use?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Knorr Demi-glace by Gourmet_Mom (I've been looking fo...)
Well I see D'Artanguan's (sp?) Duck Demi Glace all the time at Wegman's all the time. If anyone needs a tub - I think it's like 4 or 6 oz - I can shoot you one frozen.

And then I have the "Better Than"... boullion base that I use.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Knorr Demi-glace by BarbaraS (Well I see D'Artangu...)
Knorr's demi glace is in powder form and it makes wonderful beef sauces. I pick mine up at Cash & Carry. Probably most restaurant supply places will have this. It's a wonderful product.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Knorr Demi-glace by cjs (Knorr's demi glace i...)
I just saw two new products at the store. I picked one up to try.

Knorr Homestyle stock It is a small(like 1/4 cup) container (4 in package). It comes in beef too. Looks like it might make a good quick gravy.

And,

Swanson's Flavor Boost. Not sure if they do quite the same thing or not. And I didn't look very close at the nutrition/sodium/ingredients on them. But thought they both looked interesting. I picked up the Knorr brand to try out making a gravy.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Knorr Demi-glace by esgunn (Ok, Maryanne, What ...)
Quote:

Ok, Maryanne, What store is GFS? Jean, what store do you get it from around here?

Is it dried, frozen, or refrigerated?

My kids LOVE gravy!

Sorry, Erin, I just saw this now. GFS is Gordon Food Service, however it is open to the general public, unlike some of the other food service companies. I guess they haven't found there way out west just yet.

Just want to add a note here that we were very happy with the results of the Knorr demi-glace. My dad was especially happy with the flavor. I made up 2 quarts and poured it into small freezer jars so that he could take one out as needed when he has a meatloaf of roast beef.

One last note. This product works out to be 7 cents per ounce and a name brand jarred gravy is 12 cents per ounce, so it's actually less expensive in the long run and tastes a lot better.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Knorr Demi-glace by esgunn (I just saw two new p...)
Quote:

I just saw two new products at the store. I picked one up to try.

Knorr Homestyle stock It is a small(like 1/4 cup) container (4 in package). It comes in beef too. Looks like it might make a good quick gravy.

I bought both flavors - especially when I had $2 off coupons. We used one of the beef ones in osso bucco a couple of weeks ago.