Old Movies (and a new one)
  Re: (...)
This movie came out in 1951, so that's probably when we saw it. My folks, sister and I would go to new movies as soon as they came to town. This particular one I remember because my sister and I were crying and sobbing so hard (and loudly, probably ) that my mother made us go sit across the theater from them.

I looked it up on Amazon a couple months ago and it was offered!! We only know how to watch DVDs in the trailer tv, can't figure out the house one (and when we do, we're screwed up for the television forever!!) (more info than I'm sure you want to know). ANYWAY, since we're on the road, we fnally got to watch it night before last. And, I think I cried as hard this time as last, unbelievable!!

It's The Blue Veil with Jane Wyman, Chas. Laughton, Joan Blondell, Ricard Carlson, Agnes Moorehead, Natalie Wood and many more. It was just a hoot - 61 years later to watch the same movie. If anyone wants to see it, I'll send it on. I don't think I'll be around in another 61 years to watch it again!

Last night, we watched the first of the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy and it was as good as the book - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. This is the Swedish version and what a great bunch of actors.

Anyway, that was our Friday and Saturday night's entertainment and it was a ball.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Old Movies (and a new one) by cjs (This movie came out ...)
Sounds like fun. There's nothing like a good movie night.

We need one of those . . . Maybe tomorrow morning, we've got Lion King to see (for the first time!).
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Old Movies (and a new one) by Harborwitch (Sounds like fun. The...)
I love good movie recommends! Going to Netflix now. May have to check the library for the first one though.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Old Movies (and a new one) by Harborwitch (Sounds like fun. The...)
We have the new "True Grit"--Eric says it is the best movie he has seen this year---we are watching it--"Pan Am" disappointed Jane--she said the first episode was true to history, but it has turned into a nitetime soap !!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Old Movies (and a new one) by Old Bay (We have the new "Tru...)
We get a channel that shows old movies all day. Love them!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Old Movies (and a new one) by Lorraine (We get a channel tha...)
Bill, I was really looking forward to Pan Am too - but disappointed after one or two showings. My sister flew for United the same time as the show and Jane was flying then, also, wasn't she?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Old Movies (and a new one) by cjs (Bill, I was really l...)
Quote:

Bill, I was really looking forward to Pan Am too - but disappointed after one or two showings. My sister flew for United the same time as the show and Jane was flying then, also, wasn't she?

Jane flew Braniff from '66 to '70. She laughed at the "girdle" segment.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Old Movies (and a new one) by Old Bay (We have the new "Tru...)
Quote:

We have the new "True Grit"--Eric says it is the best movie he has seen this year---we are watching it--"Pan Am" disappointed Jane--she said the first episode was true to history, but it has turned into a nitetime soap !!

Have heard that the new (Coen Bros.) True Grit was really good but haven't seem it yet. From everyone's comments about Pan Am, I see that my opinions of the promo were correct and, thus, my decision not to watch it.

For something somewhat more seasonal: An American Werewolf in London is celebrating it's 30th anniversary this year.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Old Movies (and a new one) by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Cristina Ricci is very annoying to me on Pan Am, especially the one with Kennedy in Berlin. Way too hyper.

Haven't watched last night's episode yet. I keep recording and watching but I don't know..........

One new show I cannot wait for each week though is Revenge. Wednesdays on ABC. Madeline Stowe is sooooo bad she's good.
  Re: Re: Old Movies (and a new one) by Trixxee (Cristina Ricci is ve...)
Trixxee, I have to admit, we were surprised that we did like Revenge - we look forward to it every week. It is good to see Madeline Stowe again!!
www.achefsjourney.com