OT - Another Movie Q
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

While watching "It's Complicated" for the umpteenth time, I finally found out what Meryl Streep cooked for Steve Martin for dinner. It was Croque-Monsieur. Basically a Ham and Gruyere sandwich.

Sounds delish!! Has anyone made this and what would you side with it? What bread did you use - sourdough?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: OT - Another Movie Q by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]Whil...)
I've made them many times over the years - You can serve the open-faced or dip them in batter as for a Monte Cristo and you can even make them with Salmon and pumpernickel bread. I don't remember ever using any special bread.

Also, they are great napped with a Mornay sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT - Another Movie Q by cjs (I've made them many ...)
"You can serve the open-faced or dip them in batter as for a Monte Cristo"

Like in dip the open face sammich in egg and fry/bake it? Which did you do?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: OT - Another Movie Q by BarbaraS ("You can serve the o...)
I have had the Croque Madame--an open face version with a fried egg. The English and Americans have corrupted this version by subing sliced chicken for the ham with no egg!!! I've had the real delicious thing at a little French bistro in Rice (University) Village in Houston. Delicious---never made it, only ate it!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: OT - Another Movie Q by Old Bay (I have had the Croqu...)
No, you can't do the Monte Cristo version with open face - only an enclosed sandwich.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT - Another Movie Q by cjs (No, you can't do the...)
I've done the Croque-Monsieur. No special bread. I served it with a Tomato Basil Soup.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.