Sausage Dilemma
  Re: (...)
William tried to be helpful today. I secretly believe he was feeling guilty about hunting late and causing us to be grinding the sausage late tonight. Anyway, I got excited when he sent me a text saying he had ground the sausage. When I called to thank him he commented on the large amount we had. Huh? He wasn't paying attention Sunday and didn't realize it was one batch of Sweet Italian with fennel and one batch of Country Venison with allspice and nutmeg. He mixed the two. I won't tell you how I reacted, it wasn't pretty.

So now I have a decision to make. Do I add more fennel when I mix it, or do I leave it alone. I haven't added the wine/water, so I could add the fennel, ground to that so it would be more evenly distributed?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Sausage Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (William tried to be ...)
I can't answer that for you, Daphne, but I do have another suggestion. Why don't you make a patty and cook it for tasting before you do any more seasoning.

Look at the bright side. William may have invented a fantastic new flavor of sausage that could make you both famous! Be sure you let us know how you like it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sausage Dilemma by Mare749 (I can't answer that ...)
I'm definitely going to try it first. I can't figure out what it smells like?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sausage Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (I'm definitely going...)
Country Italian?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sausage Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (I'm definitely going...)
I would try it first---if it needs help--think two possibilities--more fennel, or more fennel and a lot of rubbed sage--make a small batch of each an try them--remember you are making sau-SAGE--just a thought.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Sausage Dilemma by Old Bay (I would try it first...)
It tastes like something, but I can't put my finger on it. Almost bologna, but not quite. It's driving me crazy. How long do I have before I need to freeze it. It called for pink salt, btw. Will it hold until Thursday at least? Saturday at best? I wanted to get some input before I acted, and I've got church tomorrow. If I have to, I could do it tomorrow.

Another note. The fennel and allspice are the flavors in pepperoni. That's close, too.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sausage Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (It tastes like somet...)
No it will not last, Daphne!! Get it in the freezer - But, Sharon and I have had too much wine to help you tonight. Good luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sausage Dilemma by cjs (No it will not last,...)
Got it. While I lost my Italian sausage flavor, it's not a bad flavor. We have decided to leave it as is and just make my Italian this weekend. I know one thing...we've got a WHOLE LOT of sausage...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sausage Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (It tastes like somet...)
Pink salt I am pretty sure is a curing salt. My butcher gave it to me for making corned beef.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sausage Dilemma by cjs (No it will not last,...)
I'm hoping this is relevant - freeze the sausage and then haul it out when you get ready to stuff the casings??? I'm just shooting from the hip here - maybe too much wine??? But I'd freeze it until I had the time to stuff it - then smoke it and then freeze it again.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!