Moroccan food
  Re: (...)
HI,

Our international dinner group will be having Moroccan food next month. Do you guys remember if there was anything in any of the cuisine at home magazines that resembles that food? There is a ton of recipes online but I thought maybe you guys can think of a recipe from the magazine.
  Re: Moroccan food by piano226 (HI,[br][br]Our inter...)
I will look, but you have time to make preserved lemons!!! Get a recipe on line if needed. All it is is lemons cut in quarters not quite thru, salted and pressed down with a wooden spoon, daily, for a week, closed with a lid and left in the fridge 3 weeks. TONS of recipes for Moroccan food using them. A main ingredient.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Saffron chicken tagine; Cuisine at home; Weeknight menus pg 17. It's delicious!
I think there was a discussion here - Jean and I were doing a fair bit of Moroccan food at one point. I'll poke around and see what I can find.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Moroccan food by Harborwitch (I think there was a ...)
Yes, i was thinking about preserved lemons. Thank you for the tagine idea...i am going to go and find it.
  Re: Re: Moroccan food by piano226 (Yes, i was thinking ...)
Here are a few that I've kept in C@H in my MasterCook -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apricot Couscous

2 cups water
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Minced zest of one lemon
1 Pinch kosher salt
1 cup dry instant couscous
1/4 cup diced dried apricots

Bring water, honey, oil, lemon juice, zest, and salt to a boil in a saucepan.

Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and apricots; cover and let stand until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork before serving with Moroccan Chicken Soup.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Moroccan Chicken Soup - from the C@H Email recipes

2 cups diced onion
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. fresh minced gingerroot
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. ground paprika and ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin -- cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric -- ground nutmeg
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 cups cooked -- shredded chicken
1 can chickpeas -- drained
1 can diced tomatoes in juice (14.5 oz.)
1 can artichoke hearts -- drained
1/4 cup pitted -- quartered kalamata olives
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Minced fresh cilantro
Toasted slivered almonds

Sauté onion in oil in a large pot over medium heat until onion is soft, 5 minutes. Add gingerroot, garlic, paprika, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, nutmeg, and pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute.

Deglaze pot with wine, reduce until liquid is nearly evaporated. Stir in broth, chicken, chickpeas, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and olives. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer soup for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish soup with cilantro and almonds.

Serve with Apricot Couscous.

This Moroccan-style soup reflects many of the bold spices used in North Africa, such as coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and cardamom. Couscous is traditionally served on the side.Makes: 9 cup Serve with apricot couscous (see reicpe)

Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs

FOR THE RUB-
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. salt
FOR THE RIBS-
2 1/2 lbs. short ribs (4-6 ribs)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth -- divided
3 carrots -- cut into 2-inch chunks (2 cups)
10 baby Yukon gold potatoes (2 cups)
1/2 onion -- root intact
2 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dried apricots
2 tsp. lemon juice

Combine cinnamon, ginger, cumin, turmeric, and salt in a small bowl and rub onto ribs.

Sear ribs in oil in a large sauté pan over high heat until browned on all sides, 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker and pour off oil from pan.

Deglaze with 3 cups broth, scraping bits from the bottom. Transfer deglazing broth, carrots, potatoes, onion, honey, and pepper flakes to the slow cooker.

Simmer ribs in the slow cooker on high-heat setting until fork-tender, about 3 1/2 hours. Discard onion and strain fat from the surface of sauce.

Whisk flour and remaining broth together and stir into the slow cooker with the apricots.

Simmer until ribs are fork-tender and sauce has thickened, 30 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice before serving. (To cook ribs all day, follow same procedure, but simmer about 7 1/2 hours on low-heat setting. Add remaining ingredients and simmer an additional 30 minutes.)

Notes:

1. When rubbing the ribs with the spice mix, thoroughly coat all sides and press the spices into the meat for maximum flavor.

2. Searing the short ribs not only eliminates the rawness of the spices, it also adds flavor by way of caramelization.

3. Before adding the flour, be sure the liquid in the slow cooker is simmering; that way the sauce with thicken properly

Description:
"Total time: about 4 hours (high heat), about 8 hours (low heat)"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.cuisinerecipes.com/2010/01/21/moroccan-short-ribs/"

I'll stop now. You made me hungry for some of this wonderful food!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Moroccan food by cjs (Here are a few that ...)
OMG, Morrocan-flavored food is off-limits for dinner for us. When I did the Morrocan-flavored Braised Short Ribs with cumin, cinnamon, tumeric, and whatever, we stayed up until after midnight! It really did a number to us as I never really do super savory dishes.

They were delish, but I have to watch out for the amount of these spices.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Moroccan food by BarbaraS (OMG, Morrocan-flavor...)
Moroccan is one of my favourite cuisines THIS recipe for Kefta Tagine is one of my favourite recipes, but it's not a C@H recipe.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?