What's for Wed. Dinner - 11/9??
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for today?

We made dinner of hors d'oeurvres last night - both steamed clams, one calamari and one garlic mushrooms. I brought the broth from all and a few mushrooms and calamari home so think I'll use it in some kind of seafood chowder.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Wed. Dinner - 11/9?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
Pumpkin/ricotta stuffed shells with a sage cream sauce.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Wed. Dinner - 11/9?? by Lorraine (Pumpkin/ricotta stuf...)
I made a double batch of the Winter Pork Stew last week, and we'll be having some of that tonight. The temperatures are supposed to get to freezing here tonight.
  Re: Re: What's for Wed. Dinner - 11/9?? by HomeCulinarian (I made a double batc...)
Thanks for the reminder, Jeannette. We love that recipe. Think I'll go check the freezer for some pork.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Wed. Dinner - 11/9?? by Mare749 (Thanks for the remin...)
I think we'll do something with the leftover pork tonight. It was cooked rather simply so I can change up the flavors. It was perfect last night!

Hmmmmmmmm. Playing with ideas in my head.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Wed. Dinner - 11/9?? by Harborwitch (I think we'll do som...)
Everything sounds good. Can anyone tell me which issue/book the winter pork stew is from?

I think I'm leaning towards this recipe.

Chicken & Shrimp with Tomato-Coconut Sauce

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with S&P
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup green bell pepper, diced
1 T. garlic, minced (I add this when the onions and peppers are done so it doesn't get bitter)
1 t. red pepper flakes

2 cups tomatoes, chopped (I use a can of petite cut tomatoes)
1 cup coconut milk
6 medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
1/4 cup scallions, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 T. fresh lime juice
salt to taste

Saute chicken in oil in a large saute pan over med-high until browned on both sides. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, pepper flakes. Cover and cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes, coconut milk; cover and cook until tomatoes begin to break down, 5-6 minutes. Add shrimp, scallions, cilantro and lime juice. Simmer 2-3 minutes. Season with salt.

Serve over jasmine or steamed rice. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
  Re: Re: What's for Wed. Dinner - 11/9?? by Trixxee (Everything sounds go...)
Sorry, I forgot to make note of which issue it was from when I put it into mastercook. But, here is the recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Winter Pork Stew
Serves: 6

Combine; brown in:
½ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp each kosher salt, pepper, and dried thyme leaves
2 lb pork stew meat or shoulder, trimmed, cut into 2” cubes
2 T olive oil, divided

Add, Deglaze with:
2 cups onion, chopped
½ cup carrot, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
½ cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken or beef broth

Stir In:
1 ½ cups sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
1 ½ cups russet potatoes, peeled, cubed
1 cup turnips, diced
1 cup parsnips, diced
2 T unsalted butter, softened
2 T all purpose flour

Combine ½ cup flour and seasonings in a resealable plastic bag. Add pork, toss to coat, then shake off excess. Brown half the meat in 1 T oil in a Cutch oven or large pot over medium high heat, 7-9 minutes; transfer to a plate. Brown remaining pork in remaining oil and remove; reduce heat to medium.

Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and bay leaf to the pot; sweat for 5 mins. Deglaze with wine, simmer until nearly evaporated, then stir in broth and reserved pork. Bring to boil, reduced heat to low and simmer, covered, 30 mins.

Stir in both potatoes, turnips, and parsnips; cover and cook 30 more minutes. Combine butter and 2 T flour, add to the stew and simmer 5 mins to thicken. Femove bay leaf; season with salt and pepper.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Wed. Dinner - 11/9?? by Mare749 (Sorry, I forgot to m...)
It's funny, I had enough pork leftover from last night that I had decided I'd use it for the pork stew this weekend.

Lorraine, that pasta sounds wonderful!

Jean, it's like you read my mind. I wish I could make clam chowder tonight, but we have church. But it's definitely on for tomorrow. I almost ditched the pork recipe for that yesterday, but it's supposed to turn back cold tomorrow, so I figured we'd enjoy it more then.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Wed. Dinner - 11/9?? by Gourmet_Mom (It's funny, I had en...)
The Winter Pork Stew recipe is in one of the cookbooks - I think the soups and stews book.
  Re: Re: What's for Wed. Dinner - 11/9?? by HomeCulinarian (The Winter Pork Stew...)
You're right HomeCulinarian, it's from the Soups, Stews & Chilies cookbook, page 54. It looks really tasty.

Tonight we're having Pizza Strata with Italian sausage and mushrooms. As usual, the side dish is steamed asparagus.