2011 Holiday Cooking - What's New??
  Re: (...)
Maryann is getting anxious for ideas for the holidays and I'm sure we'll be right behind her. So, let's let this thread begin it all.

We're expecting a hellacious (sp?) winter up here, so we've told the kids we'll travel to them for Thanksgiving, but we're not planning any trips after that. Snow is being forecast already around higher elevations. So, I may be doing a lot of neighborhood dinners for fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 2011 Holiday Cooking - What's New?? by cjs (Maryann is getting a...)
Thanks for starting this Jean. I do love the holidays!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 2011 Holiday Cooking - What's New?? by Mare749 (Thanks for starting ...)
I thought Some of these recipes looked interesting, from chef's around Seattle:

Seattle Times Holiday Recipes
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: 2011 Holiday Cooking - What's New?? by esgunn (I thought Some of th...)
darn, I miss taking the Seattle paper. Thanks Erin - later this a.m., I'll get a cup of coffee and really read thru these.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2011 Holiday Cooking - What's New?? by cjs (Damn, I miss taking ...)
Thanks Erin. Some interesting recipes there. I like the sound of the apple infused turkey.

Years ago, when we had a rotisserie on our outdoor grill, my dad used to cook the turkey outside with apple wood branches. We all miss that.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 2011 Holiday Cooking - What's New?? by Mare749 (Thanks Erin. Some i...)
O.K., I'm coming up with some ideas and they really are directed at the anons who will be searching for Holiday cooking ideas, I guess. Some are very basic, but good to know.

I ran across this make ahead mashed potato dish this a.m. and it is really very similar to the potatoes I made for every (I think) buffet we had at the hotel! Except I also added Parmesan to take it over the top.

It's such a nice dish to have done ahead of time -
Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe

15 medium (5 pounds) potatoes, peeled and quartered
6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 egg whites, slightly beaten (didn’t use these, I used 1/2 & 1/2)
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine (more like 2 or 3 – but I added it to the mashing and topped the potatoes with Parmesan)

Spray a large casserole dish with vegetable-oil cooking spray. In a large pot of boiling water over medium-high heat, cook potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork; remove from heat and drain. Mash potatoes until there are no lumps. Add cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, salt, pepper, and egg whites; blend well. Dot with butter or margarine. Cool slightly, cover, and refrigerate.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Take mashed potatoes out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, 40 minutes or until steaming hot in center. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

Yield: 12 to 25 servings

NOTE: This can be made up to a week ahead. If preparing ahead, place in an ovenproof baking dish, allow to cool slightly, cover, and refrigerate.

-----
Just use this as a guideline, add whatever seasonings you prefer - roasted garlic, more or less of the above cheeses, etc. Let me tell you, the pan always came back empty!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2011 Holiday Cooking - What's New?? by cjs (O.K., I'm coming up ...)
Monkey Bread - this is a must at our family holiday dinners. Here's the original recipe we've used for years followed by a version I found this morning - adding a layer of cheese. wow, it sounds like a winner.

* Exported from MasterCook *

MONKEY BREAD

2 pkgs Butterflake Rolls -- (8 oz.) separated
1/4 lb butter
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 tsps fresh parsley -- minced
1 tsp chives -- minced
1/2 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp dry oregano

8-9" bundt pan needed.
Preheat oven to 400°.

Melt butter & add herbs.
Butter bundt pan w/PLAIN butter.
Dip rolls in herb butter & arrange overlapped in pan.

Bake 20 min. or till golden brown.

ALTERNATIVE: Make 1 lb. bread dough; roll out to ~1/4" thickness.
Using a 1 1/2" -2" cutter, cut circles out of dough and proceed as above.

NOTES : Been making since Willow Glen days (1970s).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and, the newer version -

Cheesy Italian Monkey Bread - revised version

3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
4 cans Pillsbury® refrigerated buttermilk biscuits -- (4.5 oz each)
1/4 cup butter -- melted
1 / 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 oz).

1 Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 12-cup fluted tube cake pan with shortening or spray with cooking spray.

2 In 1-gallon bag, mix Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Separate dough into 24 biscuits; cut each into quarters (a pizza wheel works really well for this). Place biscuit pieces in bag. Shake bag to coat dough.

3 Place half of dough pieces in pan. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over dough. Place remaining dough pieces in pan over cheese. Sprinkle any excess Parmesan cheese mixture over dough. Pour melted butter over top.

4 Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Place heatproof plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Remove pan. Pull apart to serve. .You can mix up the spices or use Italian cheese to add even more robust flavor.

Serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping..
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2011 Holiday Cooking - What's New?? by cjs (Monkey Bread - this ...)
Having overnight guests? Doesn't this sound wonderful??

Stuffed French Toast with Candied Pecans -

Candied Pecans
pecan halves 1-1/2 lb. - 2 qt.
dark brown sugar, packed 8 oz .-1 cup
maple syrup 7 fl oz - 3/4 cup
------
Cream Cheese Filling
PHILADELPHIA Original Cream Cheese, softened 2 lb.
powdered sugar 7 oz. - 1-1/3 cups
egg yolks 4 oz. -8 each
-------
French Toast
whole eggs, lightly beaten 2 lb. -16 each
milk 48 fl oz - 1-1/2 qt.
pullman white bread slices 2 lb. - 32 slices
tempura batter mix, prepared 64 fl oz - 2 qt.

CANDIED Pecans: Combine ingredients; spread onto bottom of parchment paper-lined full-sheet pan (or in paper-lined half-sheet pan for trial recipe).

BAKE in 350ºF standard oven 13 to 15 min. or until nuts are crystallized, stirring every 5 min. Cool completely in pan. Coarsely chop.

CREAM Cheese Filling: Beat cream cheese, sugar and egg yolks in 6-qt. bowl of mixer fitted with paddle attachment until blended. (Do not overmix.) Stir in nuts. Refrigerate until ready to use.

FRENCH Toast: Whisk together whole eggs and milk until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.

SPREAD #16 scoop of Cream Cheese Filling over each of 16 bread slices (or over each of 4 bread slices for trial recipe) to within 1/4 inch of edges. Cover with remaining bread slices. Cut each sandwich into thirds.

FOR each serving: Heat oil in deep fryer to 350ºF. Dip 3 sandwich pieces, 1 at a time, in milk mixture, then in tempura batter. Fry 3 to 4 min. or until golden brown; drain. Serve immediately.

Serving Suggestion: Serve drizzled with additional maple syrup and chopped pecans.

NOTES : Yield: 12 servings, 3 French toast sticks each 4 servings, 3 French toast sticks each
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2011 Holiday Cooking - What's New?? by cjs (Damn, I miss taking ...)
Quote:

darn, I miss taking the Seattle paper. Thanks Erin - later this a.m., I'll get a cup of coffee and really read thru these.

D@mn I just miss getting any newspaper! Tomorrow ??? Maybe?? I can't wait to have the time to sit and browse this too, Erin.

We are looking forward to Thanksgiving here next week. Tonya, Mike, Bob, and I are cooking dinner for about 10 of us that will be here. Fun!!! Then my Nephew, Niece in law, and grand niece will be over here for a visit!!! I'm going to do a veggie side, an alternate stuffing, and cranberry sauce - maybe more
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: 2011 Holiday Cooking - What's New?? by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm adding this recipe to the holiday ideas because it so fits into this thread.

Sweet and Spicy Kielbasa

1 cup brown sugar
•3 Tbsp. spicy mustard (I used Beaver's Deli mustard, which is nicely grainy and lots of mustard seeds)
•2 lbs. smoked fully cooked kielbasa -- cut into 1" pieces
1 teaspoon Tabasco (I added this, it just seemed to call for it)

Preparation:
Combine brown sugar and mustard in 3-4 quart crockpot -- add kielbasa, and stir to evenly coat. Cover crockpot and cook on low-heat 2-1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until kielbasa is thoroughly heated and glazed.

12 servings - I cut each kielbasa (they are now 14 oz. not a full pound ) into 28 pieces and they make a nice bite size for the picks. But, the recipe does call for larger slices.

I'll sure make these again. Delicious.
www.achefsjourney.com