Roasted Red Pepper Question
  Re: (...)
A friend of mine came across a good deal on red peppers and wanted to roast them and can them in olive oil with some garlic. I have never done anything like this but have heard that you do not want to store garlic in olive oil for food safety reasons. But has anyone processed red peppers in olive oil to make them shelf stable? If so, would you kindly share the time that you processed them.

Any feedback will be helpful.
  Re: Roasted Red Pepper Question by iBcookin (A friend of mine cam...)
No, I have never tried this and don't think I ever would. I roast mine and freeze. Don't see why your friend couldn't combine with the oil and garlic,then freeze. Hmmmm, sounds ike an idea to play with.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
The brand Bellisimo sells jarred roasted red peppers in oil with cloves of garlic.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
If you would roast , peel, and seed the peppers, then add the garlic clove and do standard canning with boiling water I think it would work--just use salt & water for canning. Drain and cover with oil when serving. What does everyone think?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Roasted Red Pepper Question by Old Bay (If you would roast ,...)
Well you need acid or they're not going to be edible and will spoil. Here is a recipe that might help.

http://honest-food.net/2009/10/22/preserving-peppers/

Now this one is from Ball and I don't see a reason why you couldn't omit the blending in a food processor and keep them whole.

http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=60
  Re: Re: Roasted Red Pepper Question by DFen911 (Well you need acid o...)
Looks good. You can tell I'm not the canner in the family . I thought salt water in the jar might flavor and preserve without the acid. I'll let Jane do the canning!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Roasted Red Pepper Question by Old Bay (Looks good. You can...)
Answers it perfectly . . . Thanks Denise! Really sounds good, doesn't it?
  Re: Re: Roasted Red Pepper Question by iBcookin (Answers it perfectly...)
Thanks for posting the links, Denise - I think I'm going to do the Ball one with my peppers that are still on the plants. I've frozen enough of them.

I was going to say without the tomatoes, but with so little vinegar, I maybe ought to use them for the acidity.... yes, guess I'd better.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasted Red Pepper Question by DFen911 (Well you need acid o...)
Quote:

Well you need acid or they're not going to be edible and will spoil.

It's not so much spoilage but that they won't be edible because of botulism. That is why the acidity is required.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?