Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I'm thinking of replacing my plastic Borner slicer with a mandoline. Any recommendations would be really helpful.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I'm ...)
I can't even look at a mandoline without thinking about missing the tip of my middle finger on my right hand. My recommendation... Use the guard. Always.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I'm ...)
We have a Matfer stainless steel mandoline and have used it for 10 years with one minor cut. I do have a Forschner"Knifeshield", cut proof, but not punctureproof, glove, so you still need extra care with hashbrowns. I always use it. I love my mandoline. We get our gloves at Wm Sonoma and Sur La Tables.
  Re: Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations by Old Bay (We have a Matfer sta...)
Maybe you should get one from Captain Corelli. LOL1
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations by labradors (Maybe you should get...)
Here's another vote for Matfer.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations by Lorraine (Here's another vote ...)
I also have the Mafter and I use a glove all the time. Love it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations by cjs (I also have the Maft...)
I also have a Mafter. Never had the gloves, just do the ends of the veg by hand. I'm sure I told you all my Mr. Picky and the mandolin story

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations by pjcooks (I also have a Mafter...)
Thanks for the suggestions!! I looked up Mafter on amazon.com and they have a lot of models. I'm still vacillating. And yes, I almost chopped off the tip of my thumb one Thanksgiving when not using the slice guard.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations by BarbaraS (Thanks for the sugge...)
The first time I used mine, I sliced off a bit of my thumb (hello, Laura!) Still don't use the guard but am very careful. Gloves are something to look into.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations by pjcooks (The first time I use...)
Quote:

The first time I used mine, I sliced off a bit of my thumb (hello, Laura!) Still don't use the guard but am very careful. Gloves are something to look into.

PJ

Yes, I would consider gloves. I was at Good Will today and thought of this thread. They were selling a beautiful looking Mandoline. with the 'V'. I almost bought it. Now I wish I had. If I ever do, gloves will be on the top of the list!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura