Winter Cooking Plans??
  Re: (...)
Anyone have plans this winter for making new/special goodies??

I'm planning two that I'm really looking forward to - one, making marshmallows (especially after last weekend at Scottie's restuarant and the 'brûléed' marshmallows he did) and two, work on making new cheeses, especially camembert, but others also.

And, now that all traveling for the year is done, I still have pork to get some sausage made, trout to smoke, and some other goodies. Fun time begins!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Winter Cooking Plans?? by cjs (Anyone have plans th...)
I still haven't made that winter pork stew - I'd like to. If it ever actually gets cool here. It's been in the mid 80's for days....
  Re: Re: Winter Cooking Plans?? by Trixxee (I still haven't made...)
"mid 80's for days...." - will you stop that!!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Winter Cooking Plans?? by cjs ("mid 80's for days.....)
Well, if the hunters bring home a deer, I'll be working with that. We have been wanting to try some different sausage recipes, so that will be our winter challenge.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Winter Cooking Plans?? by Mare749 (Well, if the hunters...)
If you come up with some good ones, let me know, Maryann.

I'd love to play with those marshmallows, too, Jean. Let me know what you come up with. That one from your dinner looked awesome!

I don't know that I'll get to do anything. We'll see.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Winter Cooking Plans?? by Gourmet_Mom (If you come up with ...)
I'm looking for a book on sausage making. Does anyone have a good one? We tried a few recipes that I found on the internet and were underwhelmed. I want tried and true.
Maryann

Re: Re: Winter Cooking Plans?? by Mare749 (I'm looking for a bo...)
I will at least make and freeze chili, clam chowder, and onion soup-- for this winter and next year. Oh, I found a recipe for porchetta in a Bon Appetit--Jean left me a pork belly when she was here--I will wrap a pork loin with it and have a feast at Christmas!!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Winter Cooking Plans?? by Old Bay (I will at least make...)
Will be anxious to hear how that turns out Bill.

Maryann, here are a few of my books which have venison sausage recipes in them. Maybe you can find them at the library??

Sausage Cookbook, by Mary Meade - 2 Venison recipes
The Homemade Suasage Cookbook, by Bertie Selinger & Bernadine Rechner - 1 Venison recipe (Venison & Bacon)
The Savory Sausage, Linda Merinoff - 6 Venison recipes
Smoke & Spice, Cheryl & Bill Jamison - 1 recipe + more info
Of course, Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn - 1 recipe

Also, Home Sausage Making, Chas. Reavis - 1 recipe + info - I have two of these, I'll send one of them to you.

I've not tried any of the recipe because, darn it, I haven't had access to enough venison, but they all sound good.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Winter Cooking Plans?? by cjs (Will be anxious to h...)
Thanks Jean, I'll check the library for these books. There must be a way to ***** you some venison. (if they get one)
Maryann

Re: Re: Winter Cooking Plans?? by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, I'll ch...)
He wants to get back into making charcuterie and cheeses. I need new desserts for brunches. Maryann, I have some of the sausage books Jean mentioned, and they are great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.