Anthony Bourdain's new show----Layover
  Re: (...)
Just watched this for the first time last night. Tony stopped in a used book store in NY and recommended the following books, in case anyone might be interested.

El Bulli (all of them)

On Food & Cooking by Harold McGee

The Whole Beast by Fergus Henderson

When You Lunch with the Emperor by Ludwig Bemelmans

La Bonne Table by Ludwig Bemelmans

Heat by Bill Buford

The Belly of Paris by Emile Zola
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Anthony Bourdain's new show----Layover by Mare749 (Just watched this fo...)
Oh my, we're in trouble. Is his show on the Food Network? Cooking channel? Discovery? or?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anthony Bourdain's new show----Layover by cjs (Oh my, we're in trou...)
It's on the travel channel, same as his No Reservations show.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Anthony Bourdain's new show----Layover by Mare749 (It's on the travel c...)
Gotta check this out! Thanks for the heads up!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Anthony Bourdain's new show----Layover by pjcooks (Gotta check this out...)
I have (or had, I think it's still in Canada) The belly of Paris. It's a fabulous read. Will have to check out the new show, haven't had much time to watch tv.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Anthony Bourdain's new show----Layover by Lorraine (I have (or had, I th...)
Thanks, Maryann! Sounds like some good ideas for Christmas!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anthony Bourdain's new show----Layover by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Maryann! So...)
Have read Heat - highly recommend it! And the Harold McGee book is a staple of any culinary student, probably second only to Food Lovers Companion. I think if I remember correctly my impression of it was that it presented the down and dirty "why food does what it does" side of cooking, all the chemical reactions that occur, a nice reference manual, as is FLC.

Have to see if I can request the others from the library.