Papaya Advice
  Re: (...)
We have made and frozen a green chile cheesecake which we thaw, split in half and serve at parties on the 10th and 16th of December. It is served with a Papaya salsa. We bought a Belize papaya today--it is green and light yellow or gold and still fairly firm. I plan to refrigerate it until next Wednesday and then make this salsa---

1/2 papaya
1 garlic clove
1/2 C finely chopped red onion
1/2 red bell pepper (chopped)
1T chopped fresh cilantro
2T rice vinegar
salt & pepper to taste

I made this a couple of years ago to serve with the cheesecake which is as spicy as you can make for a couples party of 50. It was a perfect balance and delicious. I only served it to one party.

My questions --papaya--Is my plan plausible for one party? Both --6 days apart? Would the other half papaya last so I could make a second recipe from it closer to the second party. My original thinking was use the whole papaya and double the recipe and refrigerate the 2nd half for the second party--my concern is , rice vinegar, papaya lasting, would that vinegar be strong enough, will the papaya last under these conditions --they are hard to find here and I could use a mango, especially for the 2nd party, as a substitute. Anyway, Labs I know you use papayas--anyone else? Advice??

I brought the cheesecake recipe back up for reference.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Papaya Advice by Old Bay (We have made and fro...)
If you cut it open to use half of it, you'll need to use the other half pretty soon - much sooner than a week. If it hasn't been cut open, it may be okay. Given my own experiences, I would NOT mix it with something to refrigerate for more than a few hours - especially not overnight, or longer, if it has been mixed with something dairy. All of that has to do with the enzymes in the papaya.

Of course, if you are using the papaya in a MARINADE, not just a salsa, then you WOULD want the enzymes to work overnight in order to tenderise the meat. The enzyme in papaya - papain - IS, after all, the primary ingredient of meat-tenderiser products such as Adolph's.

For the salsa, though, I wouldn't make it too far ahead.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Papaya Advice by labradors (If you cut it open t...)
I agree with all Labs said - especially: " If it hasn't been cut open, it may be okay"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Papaya Advice by cjs (I agree with all Lab...)
I agree, I will make a recipe for the first party and toss the rest of the papaya. If I can't find another papaya for the next party I will use mango. Thanks you all--thats where I was going, but had to ask. I don't use papaya enough to know how long it lasts.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Papaya Advice by Old Bay (I agree, I will make...)
If you have time in all your party prepping, you might use some of the papaya for this salad, Bill - it's great!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Thai Mango Salad - Or If In Hawaii, Maybe Thai Papaya Salad

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
salt -- to taste
1 fresh mango -- peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup jicama -- julienned
1/4 cups fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno -- sliced

Combine lime juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, and salt in a bowl, stirring to dissolve the sugar

Toss mango, jicama, cilantro, and jalapeno in the dressing. Serve at room temperature.

Description:
""Weeknight Menus II" - goes with the Pad Thai with Pork (see recipe) At Sonja's I lost my mind and looked at the word mango and thought papaya - and the salad is great with papaya also."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com