Gluten-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
  Re: (...)
About a month ago, my mom made these for a friend and also made a batch for her and my dad. They loved them and that was one of the reasons she got some almond butter for me to bring back. I'm going to give them a try next week. The certainly sound delicious!

Gluten Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 24 cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unsalted almond butter, stirred well
  • 3/4 cup Sucanat (Demerara sugar - or you could use ground-up piloncillo)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/4 t. sea salt (regular salt is okay)
  • 3 oz. dark chocolate (70% cocoa or greater). broken into small pieces.
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together first 5 ingredients until blended.
  3. Stir in chocolate.
  4. Drop dough by rounded T. onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
  6. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes.
  7. Remove to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Gluten-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies by labradors (About a month ago, m...)
As much as I love peanut butter and love almonds - I just don't care for almond butter. Isn't that strange?? Wonder if I'd like it in something - I have a jar languishing in the pantry.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gluten-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies by cjs (As much as I love pe...)
Another use for Leftovers II, Jean? There are probably a lot of people who buy almond butter only to have it sit around until it gets thrown out.

Labs, I know that gluten-free probably means no flour, but I'm surprised that these don't have some kind of sub for it. You would think that they would just melt all over the pan.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Gluten-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies by Mare749 (Another use for Left...)
Maryann, that surprised me, too, but my mom said they turned out well and were delicious, as well. When I make them, I'll post a follow-up report here.
  Re: Re: Gluten-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies by labradors (Maryann, that surpri...)
good idea, Maryann! (must remember not everyone has my good taste in food... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gluten-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies by cjs (good idea, Maryann! ...)
Okay, Time for some notes:
  1. My mom didn't remember where she had seen this recipe - possibly a "healthy: magazine in a doctor's waiting room, so I Googled it and found that it had been in the magazine Clean Eating.
  2. She did say that they did not turn out as thick-looking as the photo from the magazine (see the photo at the above link) and when I made these, yesterday, I would say the same thing but I was using the same almond butter she had used since she was the one who had given it to me.
  3. To make them easier to handle, I need to store them in the refrigerator.
  4. The recipe DOES say "unsalted almond butter" and the brand that we used contained "Dry roasted almonds, organic unrefined cane sugar, palm oil and sea salt."
  5. My use of chopped up rapadura (i.e. piloncillo), instead of sucanat (i.e. demerara sugar) could have contributed more moisture and caused more spread.
  6. It would be interesting to try these with homemade almond butter. Actually, to make them again, I'd HAVE to do so, since I don't have any local source of almond butter and had brought just that one jar back from the States.
  7. WHO CARES? THEY'RE ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!
  Re: Re: Gluten-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies by labradors (Okay, Time for some ...)
Labs thank you! A friend of mine is a "glutard" and is always looking for more recipes so just sent this to her
  Re: Re: Gluten-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies by DFen911 (Labs thank you! A fr...)
Thanks for the review, Labs. I still can't wrap my brain around it, but my "glutard" friend is going to LOVE this!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Gluten-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the revie...)
I hadn't believed it when my mom first mentioned it, but when she tried them and said they were good, then gave me a jar of almond butter to bring back from the States, I had to try them. Now that I've tried them, I not only understand but also love them. Again, different brands of almond butter will probably yield differences in consistency, but the flavour will be fantastic.