Review – Surf & Turf Issue 90
  Re: (...)
My daughter also subscribes to CAH and told me she made this Surf & Turf and it was over the top, so I decided to make it for my Book Club on Wednesday this week. The recipe is for 2, and I was planning to make it for 10. Now, I’ve never cooked lobster before and at $8.99 per 5 oz tail, I was a little nervous. Not knowing much about lobster, I chose the 5 oz split lobsters over the 5 oz whole tails. I thought it would be easier for me to remove the shell and it turned out very well by using this steaming method. But, I don’t know if the smaller whole tails would have been better. The method for cooking this meal was really pretty easy, and the only challenge was the Lobster Bisque Sauce – which IMO was totally worth the trouble.

A surprise was that my friends were raving about the Twice-Baked potatoes! They are really good with the parmesan and just a bit of lemon zest and tarragon. In increasing the potato recipe for more portions, I had way too much potato leftover and should have saved more of the shells to fill.

I also served this salad from AllRecipes because I really wanted to include pomegranate and for dessert I made a double batch of Orange Gelato from the KitchenAide book that comes with the ice cream maker attachment.

This is a very nice dinner for a special occasion and now I’m thinking this will be our Christmas Eve dinner instead of the Osso Bucco.

[Image: 379554_10101034931430930_1940219_6773638...8757_n.jpg]
  Re: Review – Surf & Turf Issue 90 by HomeCulinarian (My daughter also sub...)
This looks like a wonderful post, but Roy just made me a martini (sorry Bill....a cocktail ), so I'll read it tomorrow with my coffee. Picture had me drooling, Jeannette.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review – Surf & Turf Issue 90 by cjs (This looks like a wo...)
This looks wonderful!!! Now that you've cooked lobster you must enjoy it more often

What was your turf? And what sauce was in the ramekin?
  Re: Re: Review – Surf & Turf Issue 90 by DFen911 (This looks wonderful...)
Turf were 5 oz filets and the sauce in the ramekin was the Lobster bisque sauce from the magazine.
  Re: Re: Review – Surf & Turf Issue 90 by HomeCulinarian (Turf were 5 oz filet...)
That dinner sounds just great, Jeannette. Must do it this month!!

Would it be too much trouble to post the orange gelato recipe? sounds very refreshing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review – Surf & Turf Issue 90 by cjs (That dinner sounds j...)
Sure... here it is.

Creamy Lemon-Orange Gelato (KitchenAid)
2 cups 2% milk
4 strips orange peel
4 strips lemon peel
6 coffee beans
5 egg yolks
3/4 cups sugar

Scald milk with orange peel, lemon peel and coffee beans in heavy medium saucepan.

Whisk yolks and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk half of milk mixture into yolks. Return yolks to saucepan with remaining milk. Stir over low heat until mixture thickens slightly and leaves path on the back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 8 minutes, do not boil. Strain into medium bowl. Refrigerate until well chilled.

Follow usual ice cream making procedure. Can be prepared up to 4 days in advance.
Yield - 8 1/2 cup servings - 135 calories each!
  Re: Re: Review – Surf & Turf Issue 90 by HomeCulinarian (Sure... here it is.[...)
Oh my, that does sound good - thanks Jeannette!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review – Surf & Turf Issue 90 by cjs (Oh my, that does sou...)
Nicely done, Jeannette! It looks delicious. Thanks for the review. This will make a nice special occasion meal. Does your book club always eat this well?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review – Surf & Turf Issue 90 by Mare749 (Nicely done, Jeannet...)
What a delicious dinner! And I love that gelato recipe. Gonna have to do this for sure
  Re: Re: Review – Surf & Turf Issue 90 by DFen911 (What a delicious din...)
Very nice!