Spiced Nuts
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have any favorite recipes for spiced or candied nuts?

I can not eat pecans but can adapt the recipe to walnuts. Also thinking about whole almonds, maybe mixed nuts.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Spiced Nuts by esgunn (Does anyone have any...)
Sorry, I don't, but am anxious to see what the others post.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Here are my favourites. You can swap the nuts for what you like.

Poylnesian

2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 cups nuts (we used mixed, unsalted, or your favourite)
2 tsp soya sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne ( you can use hot sauce)

Toss nuts with melted butter. Toast at 325 15 - 20 minutes, stirring twice. Remove to bowl. Sprinkle soya sauce, salt and cayenne. Stir well. Cool. Store in airtight container.

Almond Special

1 1/2 cups almonds
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt

Toss nuts with butter, follow above directions.

Caramelized almonds (my fav)
2 cups almonds
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all in pot. Cook and stir over medium heat until just light caramel colour (we did 20 minutes). Spread on greased baking sheet. Using 2 forks, separate the nuts. Store in cool place.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Spiced Nuts by Lorraine (Here are my favourit...)
We do a lot of fried pecans for cheese displays. Melt butter, add the pecans, and we add whatever sweet rub he has. Our favourite is his Canadian Rub (named that because it has maple sugar in it). Obviously a basic pork rub may not work, but brown sugar and Old Bay is really tasty. We did one with brown sugar and 5 spice that was great. Can you tell we fry a lot of pecans?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Spiced Nuts by Lorraine (We do a lot of fried...)
Here's my favorite from when I was working country clubs - always had on hand.

1 1/2 lbs. walnut halves
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups granulated sugar
Optional - add a little cayenne pepper to the mixture

To candy the walnuts:
Bring the water and sugar to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Add the walnuts and stir over heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a sieve and let drain. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet which has been spray with baking spray in one layer. Bake at 350 F. for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. The nuts are ready when they feel dry to the touch. Watch them carefully, they will burn easily.

"This was one of the first things I made while I was working with Chef Jim Schanel at his Country Club in Cameron Park, California - what a mentor Chef Jim was, and is, to so many of us that he took under his wing." (I was in the middle of culinary school and 'staging' with anyone who would let me in their kitchens!!)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spiced Nuts by cjs (Here's my favorite f...)
What Jean posted is close enough to the Mexican way of doing them, so I won't need to translate Nueces GarrapiƱandas.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Here's what I do at work, Erin. Adapt your spices to your nut, I use this one almost exclusively for walnuts or pecans.

Sorry about not giving specific amounts, I just do what I need, so I'll try to give you a few guidelines.

I lightly whisk about 3 egg whites. I add sugar, sometimes brown, sometimes white, maybe half a cup(?) Add your spices. I usually use cin, nutmeg, ground cloves and a touch of ginger. (Vary if you like. If you go southwestern or something savory, eliminate the sugar.) I add until it smells right-you know, a little strong because you're going to mix it with about 2# of nuts.

Roast off, 350 oven, check at 5 min. You'll know they are done when you can smell them. Watch them carefully, they go from toasted to burned in seconds.

Another option for you to consider.

PJ

ETA Now that I've read the WHOLE thread, you've got lots of great options!!