Welllllllll . . . . it's about food!
  Re: (...)
I don't know how many of you saw this - but if you go to www.mapleleaffarms.com/duckcoupon you can print a $5 off coupon on a Maple Leaf Farms duck. Hmmmmmm, I'm seeing duck breasts for Christmas dinner, and duck ragu coming up!

Just thought I'd share!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Welllllllll . . . . it's about food! by Harborwitch (I don't know how man...)
Sharon,

I had one of their pre-cooked 1/2 duck (although it had two legs - thought it would be wing/breast/thigh/leg) and it was pretty good! Don't recommend the L'Orange sauce, though.

I'm still waiting for that recipe that Jean has that calls for it cooking for 5 hours, but did a Google search and came up with a great number of recipes. Jean, I couldn't find it on F&W, either.

I want to do a real duck, since Hubby was okay with the taste of the Maple Leaf duck, over the Christmas/NYE week.

I also got hold of a Boeuf Bourguinon recipe that requires a mire poix simmer for the broth of 6 hours with interesting additions to the bouquet garni, then you throw out the mire poix and resub fresh carrots and shaved celery with the mushrooms and pearl onions for another 30 minutes. It's from an acquaintance who blogs and puts out some amazing recipes that she learned from her mom and friends and her genuine integrity/desire to get food right.

I'll ask if it's okay to link to the blog entry if anyone's interested. Let me know.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Welllllllll . . . . it's about food! by BarbaraS (Sharon,[br][br]I had...)
Oh Barbara, I didn't realize/remember you wanted this recipe - let me get it in the morning for you.

Roy's been eying duck since I fnally defrosted both freezer - he thinks it's time to start filling.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Welllllllll . . . . it's about food! by cjs (Oh Barbara, I didn't...)
Wellllll... That's the brand I can get here, but coupons don't work here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Welllllllll . . . . it's about food! by BarbaraS (Sharon,[br][br]I had...)
I used to have a bunch of those packets of orange sauce in the freezer - I never used them, the smell was enough to convince me that I didn't want to. Tossed them all, and always toss them now. That link would be great Barbara!

I used to do a duck that, after roasting off some of the fat, cooked in kraut with apples and brown sugar for hours. It was falling off the bone good, succulent, rich without being heavy, and just appealed to my Alsatian roots. I must get duck for so many things.

Well shoot - Safeway was out of them! Grrrrrrr.

Jean I don't think I've cooked duck since you and Roy were there for dinner on the houseboat. I'm going to try to figure out why - oh there were no ducks in ND.
  Re: Re: Welllllllll . . . . it's about food! by Harborwitch (I used to have a bun...)
Bummer! I can't find duck here, not to mention that brand. That one time was a happenstance. Although, I got it because a customer had ordered it and hadn't picked it up. I guess I need to do my own ordering....DUH!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Welllllllll . . . . it's about food! by Gourmet_Mom (Bummer! I can't fin...)
Quote:

Bummer! I can't find duck here, not to mention that brand. That one time was a happenstance. Although, I got it because a customer had ordered it and hadn't picked it up. I guess I need to do my own ordering....DUH!

Duh! I know.