OT---does anyone grow their own lemongrass?
  Re: (...)
I looked in the internet how to grow my own lemongrass. Everything I read said to purchase nice fresh lemongrass from my Asian grocery store and to sprout them in a jar of water until the roots are 2" long. So, I did that.

Now, I'm ready to plant these in a big pot. Does anyone know if I'm suppose to cut the stalk down to a smaller size before I do this?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: OT---does anyone grow their own lemongrass? by Mare749 (I looked in the inte...)
I've tried a couple of times to grow it over the years and have not had luck, but you know I ought to try again now that I have the green house. Anxious to hear how yours fare.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT---does anyone grow their own lemongrass? by cjs (I've tried a couple ...)
I knew if I put this question out there, I would finally find my own answer. Watched another utube film (I've seen several already) and got an interesting answer. The gardener said to cut off the tops at ground level to give the roots another chance to grow a plant.

So, I'm just going to put all my stalks in the pot and cut them off near the bottom as I use them. Jean, I'll post again in a month or two with a progress report.
Maryann

Re: Re: OT---does anyone grow their own lemongrass? by Mare749 (I knew if I put this...)
good! and good luck. there was something else I planted when I tried these a couple of times, cut can't remember what it was.

yes, I do - ginger
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT---does anyone grow their own lemongrass? by cjs (good! and good luck....)
I know several people, here, who grow lots of lemongrass. It appears you've already gotten an answer to your question, but I'll check with some friends to see if they have any additional tips.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT---does anyone grow their own lemongrass? by labradors (I know several peopl...)
Thanks. Now, I'm curious about growing ginger as well.
Maryann

Re: Re: OT---does anyone grow their own lemongrass? by Mare749 (Thanks. Now, I'm cu...)
I'll ask about that, too: I know someone who grows it - different person from those who grow the lemongrass, but I'll ask.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT---does anyone grow their own lemongrass? by labradors (I'll ask about that,...)
I have always wondered on both of these. Will be very interested in you experiences.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: OT---does anyone grow their own lemongrass? by esgunn (I have always wonder...)
I grew lemongrass in Toronto from plants I bought. The greens grew about 4 feet tall, and looked like ornamental grass. I grew ginger inside yearsa ago. I started it by buying a piece of ginger that was starting to sprout. Stuck it in a glass of water with toothpicks ( like we used to do with avocado seeds). When the roots were long enough, I planted it in earth. When I wanted to use it, I would push the earth aside, and cut off what I needed. I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder .
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.