Christmas Eve & Day Dinners???
  Re: (...)
We have the holiday thread, but I thought it might be fun to have a thread for our dinners and what we plan to do.

I haven't decided (except for the Pecan Pie Redux for Christmas Eve) yet - since it's going to be a bummer holiday, can't get in the mood. I'll let you all inspire me - and, probably, make me envious as hell! sigh......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinners??? by cjs (We have the holiday ...)
Sadly, Andrew won't be joining us again this year, I don't think. We're doing appies Saturday night. Not sure which just yet....but Ashley has been charged to pick out the meats and cheeses. Since we're having crab as part of Sunday's meal, and Ashley has discovered she's allergic to shrimp, I'm kinda stuck on anything else.

We've decided on Fillets Oscar for Sunday late afternoon. I may do the Duchess potatoes Pioneer Woman did for her holiday show with a Caesar Salad. I haven't decided if I'll do a soup course, yet.

Doing the strata for champagne brunch!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinners??? by Gourmet_Mom (Sadly, Andrew won't ...)
We are actually going to go out for Chinese on Christmas Eve. We did that last year it was very nice and relaxing. Then come home and watch Elf, for the 20,987 time!

Bobby Flay's Tuscan Brunch (and mimosas) on Christmas morning (will probably make cinnamon rolls for Michael as he won't be too interested in anything outside a regular scrambled egg). Tenderloin of beef for dinner along with an au gratin potato dish that has fresh horseradish in it, and sauteed red swiss chard w/garlic. Purchased pumpkin pie for dessert as we all know I'm not a baker! I bought Tony a bottle of 2007 Grigich Hills Cab for one of his presents so hopefully he'll break that out. If not, we've got a few other nice bottles of cab laying around.
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinners??? by Trixxee (We are actually goin...)
Oh, I did forget to mention we are going to Michael's (a nice restaurant here in town) for "The Feast of Seven Fishes" Christmas Eve. Hate staying home that night - it used to be the night the kids spent with their bio-dad (or sperm donor, as Trace calls him.....) and we were always at a loss as to what to do.

Cripes, I'm just a diggin' myself further and further into this stupid pity party hole. Give me a glass of wine and I'll cheer up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinners??? by cjs (Oh, I did forget to ...)
Quote:

stupid pity party hole

I'm with you , Jean. We're staying home, so it will be him and I and the cat Christmas Eve and day. We're thinking of doing pork wings. How sad is that??/
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinners??? by cjs (Oh, I did forget to ...)
As on a few other occasions, my friend with the small bar and grill (that has grown into a small bed and breakfast) has requested White chocolate Banana Cream Pies for Christmas Eve and invited me to eat and stay there for no charge, other than helping him with some of the cooking (which I would do, anyway). Thus, I'll be out there for Christmas Eve, over into Christmas Day.

Other than the pies, I don't know what he plans to serve, yet, but he usually has at least turkey, beef short ribs and lasagne and I usually make the garlic mashed potatoes and the gravies, along with other odds and ends that may be needed.

Since everyone usually stays up pretty late - especially with all the midnight fireworks around here on Christmas Eve - we usually sleep in and then I'll use some of the leftovers to make garlic-mashed-potato omelets.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinners??? by labradors (As on a few other oc...)
It's an all Cuisine at home menu. This is our five course meal:

Appetizer- Tandoori shrimp on toasted sesame rice cakes with pineapple chutney

Soup- Lobster bisque

Salad- Orange and red onion with mixed greens

Entrée- Chicken bistro cakes with almond butter sauce, Lemon-Parmesan pasta and
Asparagus

Dessert- Mini blueberry pies

The whole clan is coming over and we serve restaurant style. It's so much fun.
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinners??? by losblanos1 (It's an all Cuisine ...)
Blane, your menu sounds delicious!

We're having both boys, one GF, and one MIL for Christmas Eve. I'm serving cheese tortellini with four different pestos--basil, red pepper and pistachio, kale and sunflower seed, and sage, pecan and browned butter. The only one we've tried before is the basil pesto, which is a staple in my home (and freezer), but I thought it would be fun to do a pesto tasting. I'll serve a salad, too. For dessert, we're having cookies and ice cream. Daphne, I'm going to give those salt & pepper butterscotch pine nut cookies a try. I picked up the ingredients today!

Christmas breakfast is pecan sticky buns, bacon, sausage, eggs, grapefruit, and orange juice (mimosas, anyone?)

We have another couple joining us for Christmas dinner, so there will be eight altogether, which should be really fun. I'm serving steak au poivre, potato confit, spanakopita, a tossed salad with caramelized pears, blue cheese and candied pecans, green beans and creme brulee.

I wouldn't be doing the spanakopita unless I needed a vegetarian entree, and I think it will go pretty well (or at least not fight with) the sides.

I'm really looking forward to it, but there is definitely a part of me that is missing spending time with my family in California. All three of my siblings and their children will be at my parents' house for the first time in years. That'll teach me to move to my beloved South!
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinners??? by karyn (Blane, your menu sou...)
My grandson, and his parents, of course, are coming to visit from Colorado on Thursday. He'll be 3 months old on Christmas day. Our two youngest children still live nearby, and our oldest son will be going to celebrate Christmas eve with his girlfriend's family in Michigan.

So for Christmas eve, we will have 6 or 7 for dinner, depending on if young daughter's BF joins us. We will attend the 5 PM church service and then have dinner after. I'm making the Surf & Turf from the current CAH issue and adding asparagus (thanks for the suggestion Blane).

We leave on Christmas morning to visit our extended families, except this year my SIL has decided she's not up to hosting the gathering. I don't blame her because she was recenlty diagnosed with MS. So we will go to straight to my sister's house. She will have stromboli and salads and other snack foods. She usually did it all herself, but this year gave assignments to everyone on what to bring to take a little of the burden off hosting. Oldest son and his GF will join us at my sisters sometime on Christmas day afternoon.

Then, on the 26th in the morning, I am co-hosting a baby shower for one of my nieces who is due in March. We will serve a variety of quiches, fruit salad, muffins/breads, and biscuits and gravy (not my idea), juice, coffee, etc.

And finally we will head for home on the 26th in the afternoon and stop by to see my FIL on our way.
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinners??? by HomeCulinarian (My grandson, and his...)
We are doing lasagna for Bert, Allison, Eric, and us Friday, An 8lb capon for Christmas dinner (biggest da-n thing I've seen) for everybody but Bert (he and Holly will be with their Mother)--everything else still in planning!! Holly, Nick, grandkids, and Bert after Christmas!! Tis the season--yes it is!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".