Semi Awol
  Re: (...)
Well I've been in and out, but with all that's been going on it's hard to find time to think.

Not sure who all knows, but last week he had to put Derek's dad into an assisted living community. It's going to be an adjustment, but I am sure it will work out. Now we spend every spare moment cleaning out his old home so we can get it on the market to sell as soon as we can. Which causes more headaches with Marvin. The good news he really likes the people there and he loves the food. Each day is a bit easier.

It was also 9 years ago today that Derek's sister passed away so it's been a bit melancholy around here.

This next year is gonna be crazy busy with getting Marvin settled, our house sold, Laura graduating from college, Derek and I retiring and moving. I need a glass of wine just thinking about all this
  Re: Semi Awol by DFen911 (Well I've been in an...)
No, have a martini. This too shall pass. You will survive.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Semi Awol by Old Bay (No, have a martini. ...)
Denise, times change and life gets complicated, but in the end, things get better.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Semi Awol by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, times change...)
Denise, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. It is a challenging time, but an.exciting time!

Maybe a little far reaching, but there were so many times that people would comment to us when the kids were babies, How do you do it? Or I couldn't do it! But what is the alternative, leaving one at the curb? You do what has to be done. You may not even realize what all you are going through, but it all so much sweeter when you come out the other side. Or at least you can appreciate the journey. I know it is harder for the decisions you are making, and the reminders of those lost, but you will know what is the right path. I am sure your family knows you love them.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Semi Awol by esgunn (Denise, my thoughts...)
Who could put it better than our Erin!! Just remember Denise, it seems the more you do the more you can do. Will Derek's dad be willing to move again and go up with you?

Derek's sister died on Christmas Eve? - oh, that's just not right, how hard to get thru that every year.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Denise,

It's a good thing he likes the people and the food. Hubby's Mom was less than happy when we had to move her, but we couldn't keep her in our house as we absolutely had no room. She always hinted about her other son taking her in, but his marriage would have broken up. It's good that your FIL is adjusting more and more each day.

Edit to add: Take a couple minutes at each visit to get to know the staff, especially the upper echelon - head nurse, director, etc. Then if there are any miscommunications, you'll know who to go to to address them. And in turn, they take more of an interest in your relative.

Yeah, and take two martinis with olives and check in as often as you can.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Semi Awol by BarbaraS (Denise,[br][br]It's ...)
Beautifully said, Erin!

Denise, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It sounds like the coming year will be both challenging and exciting. Keep us updated whenever you can.
Denise I am so sorry you are going through this, especially at this time of year. It just makes it even tougher, but you'll survive (two martinis will definitely help )

It's good that he's liking the people and the food! The food, surprisingly, is the most important!! If they won't eat it's a problem.

We were lucky that we didn't have a housefull of Bob's Mom's stuff - but we are still storing boxes of her stuff with our "stuff" in ND.

Will he be going north with you???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Semi Awol by Harborwitch (Denise I am so sorry...)
I wish I could truly express what all of your words mean to me and do for us.

Thank you guys so much for your words of encouragement. You all are just so wonderful!
  Re: Re: Semi Awol by DFen911 (I wish I could truly...)
Hang in there Denise. Just keep thinking of that retirement on the horizon!