OT - For the Birds
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I get a kick out of feeding birds throughout the year. I even have an Audubon Bird Web Cam Santa gave me last year to watch the antics. The squirrels were the best blast, one kept getting into a feeder and we got to record how. Needless to say, at Hubby's workplace, it became a running joke - Hubby, zip, Rocky the Squirrel 7, etc. He even downloaded the pics to work. We even greased the top of the feeder. Could have made America's Funniest Home Videos.

I have a thisle feeder up for the wrens, finches, and gold finches, but it hasn't been fed from for a while and even though I put the anti-fungal crystals in, I'm wondering if I should stop this one feeder and replace it with something else for the winter.

Does anyone around the Philly, PA temperature zone keep a thistle feeder out for winter?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: OT - For the Birds by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I ge...)
I think we are kind of in the same zone. My neighbours have thistle feeders, but I can't see if they get any birds. The last few weeks, I've noticed blue jays and cardinals in our yard. I guess we'll have to buy some feeders.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: OT - For the Birds by Lorraine (I think we are kind ...)
We like to attract birds, too. Hubby planted a prairie patch in our courtyard and we put a heater in the birdbath for the winter. We leave the cone flowers stand for the natural thistle. Not as many birds visiting this year so far.

I'm going to look into the camera to watch since we are gone most days and only get to see their morning activities, well until the days get longer.
  Re: Re: OT - For the Birds by HomeCulinarian (We like to attract b...)
I still get all kinds of finches, but they go to the other feeders and not to the thistle feeder. I'll have to check on it again this afternoon to see if it got moldy.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.