Four Cheese Paté & Brie Tips
  Re: (...)
After all the talk about C@H Light Recipe book, figured we just might need something like this - bad jean

Four Cheese Pate Recipe - ABOUT.COM

If you like cheese balls, you will love this savory cheesecake pie. It's no-cook, no-bake, and easy.

• 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened, divided use
• 2 tablespoons milk
• 2 tablespoons sour cream
• 3/4 cup chopped pecans
• 4 ounces Brie or Camembert, rind removed, softened
• 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
• 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
• 1/2 cup pecan halves, for garnish
• Red and green apple slices, fresh vegetable sticks, and/or crackers

Beat 8 ounces of the cream cheese, milk, and sour cream until smooth. Line a 9-inch pie plate with plastic wrap. Spread mixture over the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Sprinkle chopped pecans evenly across the surface and gently press into the cream cheese mixture.

Beat remaining 16 ounces of cream cheese, Brie cheese, Swiss cheese, and blue cheese until combined. Scrape into pie plate on top of previous layer and smooth the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

When ready to serve, remove top plastic wrap and invert pate onto a serving dish. Carefully peel off bottom layer of plastic wrap. Press pecan halves in a decorative pattern on top.

Let cheese pate sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving with apple slices, vegetable sticks, and crackers.

Yield: 16 to 20 servings

------
And, while we’re on the subject of Brie – maybe this will be of interest to some folks not familiar with Brie

Brie Cooking Tips
• The white moldy Brie rind is edible and is usually eaten along with the softer interior.

• If you do not want to eat the rind, it is easy to trim from refrigerated Brie or bring the cheese to room temperature, cut, and scoop out the soft center with a spoon.

• Hard, underripe Brie will probably not ripen once you get it home. Do not take the chance.

• Purchase Brie rounds that are no more than 1 inch thick, and having a sweet odor. It should appear slightly bulging within the rind. Thicker rounds will be overripe on the edges and underripe in the center.

• Underripe Brie will feel hard when gently pressed with your finger, while overripe Brie will feel too soft and runny to the touch. The exterior should be firm, while the center should be springy but not watery.

• Once it ripens, Brie should be refrigerated and consumed within a few days.

• Overripe Brie will have a brownish, gummy rind and smell like ammonia.

• If you are able to purchase just a slice of Brie, look for an interior that is soft with a satiny sheen.

• Brie stops aging once it is sliced, so if it is not properly aged when you cut into it, it will not improve.

• Brie is available canned, but it is impossible to judge age and as such, it is a risky venture.

• Ripe, uncut Brie may be frozen up to 6 months.

• Brie should be brought to room temperature or warmed before eating.

• If necessary, Camembert may be substituted for Brie in equal measures. Be aware that the Camembert will be stronger in aroma and flavor than the Brie.

• French Brie has a lower fat content (about 40 percent) than American Brie which has up to 60 percent fat content.
-----

Now, back to cooking lighter.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Four Cheese Paté & Brie Tips by cjs (After all the talk a...)
Thanks for the info, Jean! I've got a big wedge of very ripe French Brie in the fridge right now. I can't decide what to do with it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Four Cheese Paté & Brie Tips by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the info,...)
Daphne, don't forget the Bacon and Brie Soup. Actually, I was just thinking about that one when I saw some Brie and Camembert in the store, yesterday.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Four Cheese Paté & Brie Tips by labradors (Daphne, don't forget...)
That's a definite possibility. All I'd need is bacon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Four Cheese Paté & Brie Tips by cjs (After all the talk a...)
That sounds really good Jean. How long do you think it will hold in the fridge once it's made. I'm thinking that that's a lot of cheese for Bob and I!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Four Cheese Paté & Brie Tips by Harborwitch (That sounds really g...)
Great info, Jean! Copied and saved. We don't use Brie very often, but we all sure do like it. All I've ever done is wrap it in crescent dough and bake it. It pretty much gets devoured in a matter of minutes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Four Cheese Paté & Brie Tips by Mare749 (Great info, Jean! Co...)
"Beat remaining 16 ounces of cream cheese, Brie cheese, Swiss cheese, and blue cheese until combined. Scrape into pie plate on top of previous layer and smooth the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight." Sharon, at this point you could slice in 4 or 6 slices and stick in freezer???? (golf course freezer????)

or...
make a third recipe and freeze half??

1 package cream cheese (8-ounce) softened, divided use
2/3 tablespoon milk
2/3 tablespoon sour cream
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 1/3 ounces Brie or Camembert, rind removed, softened
1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 1/3 ounces crumbled blue cheese
1/8 cup pecan halves, for garnish
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com