Par Baking/Freezing Pizza dough
  Re: (...)
I've been trying to find a thread where this was discussed. I found a few, but none with any details on how to do it. Was there one, or am I dreaming it??? We've been asked to do tapas style apps at the winery on Thursday nights, and I was thinking of grilling the dough, then freezing it. Not sure how to do it, but if it works, it sure would make life easier, and give us an edge over either bought dough or baked. Thanks for any info!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Par Baking/Freezing Pizza dough by Lorraine (I've been trying to ...)
There was a thread on this, but I'm so bad at using the search feature that it's not likely to turn up for me. Maybe someone else will have better luck finding it for you.

IMHO and limited experience, cooked pizza/and or/the dough, never tastes as good once it's been frozen, but it may be that I'm just not doing it properly.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Par Baking/Freezing Pizza dough by Mare749 (There was a thread o...)
Lorraine, I did par-baked for the winery's pizza party and they turned out great.

I parbaked immediately after rolling out in the pan, no rising. Dock the dough and bake at 450° for 3 minutes. Remove from oven, cool on racks, wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze. the ones I froze worked great also.

I took them out on the way to the winery and by the time I was set up, all the doughs were thawed and ready to go. Everyone raved and that's for sure the only way I'd go for a crowd.

P.S. I made 4 or 5 different doughs and they all worked with this method. Also, 1 batch of dough which works out to about 24-28 oz. makes a nice 1/2 sheet size which gave me 29 3-1/34" squares that I cut in half to mimic pizza slices.

Another P.S. - I have to backtrack a little - the bread flour pizza dough was the least easiest to work with in this project, so wouldn't use again.

O.K. I thing that's all my notes...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Par Baking/Freezing Pizza dough by cjs (Lorraine, I did par-...)
I use Jeans sourdough recipe and it freezes up to three months (maybe more). Works very well. I freeze 20-25 ten inch crusts ahead of time for a party.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Par Baking/Freezing Pizza dough by Old Bay (I use Jeans sourdoug...)
Quote:

I freeze 20-25 ten inch crusts ahead of time for a party.

I wanna go to your next party

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Par Baking/Freezing Pizza dough by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

I freeze 20-25 ten inch crusts ahead of time for a party.

I wanna go to your next partySmile

PJ

[/blockquote]

We fire up the oven for 15-20 guests, everybody puts their own toppings on the par baked crust and brings to me on a peel. It takes 3 to 4 min on a 600-700 degree floor and they are brown and a little burned if you like, around the edges--they cook really fast! Love to have you at a party!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Par Baking/Freezing Pizza dough by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm hoping to make them this weekend while prepping for Brunch, as the first event is next Thursday.
  Re: Re: Par Baking/Freezing Pizza dough by Lorraine (Thanks for all the i...)
You were all so helpful, I thought I should give an update. I went with the sourdough crust, made 8 batches. Rolled them out, oiled them, and marked both sides on a hot grill. At service, put the toppings on, and into a hot copnvection oven. It worked like a charm. I didn't have to freeze any this time, but I can see where this would be great in the future. Thanks!
  Re: Re: Par Baking/Freezing Pizza dough by Lorraine (You were all so help...)
I was surprised at how easy this project was, after figuring out how to do the crusts ahead of time. I sure would do this again, too.

Grilling them sounds like a way to go, also - will add to the folder. Thanks Lorraine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Par Baking/Freezing Pizza dough by cjs (I was surprised at h...)
We decided to grill them, because the oven needs servicing, and is not always up to temp. But, grilling them was so fast and easy. I should also have mentioned how easy the dough was to work with. As an aside, the wine shop staff are always walking thru the kitchen. They were so intrigued by real pizza dough, I let some of them make roll/toss their own. Most of thesse folks don't cook much, so it was great fun. They were blown away by how easy it was.