Favorite new kitchen toys?
  Re: (...)
Jean had a good idea when she mentioned favorite kitchen gadgets. Made me realize that this is the first time we didn't have a thread telling what we all got for Christmas.

Some of you may already know that I got a new Cuisinart food processor and love it! But my absolute favorite gift came from my girls. They got me a 5 1/2 qt. Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Triple Ply Stainless Casserole with Lid, and the 2 qt. saucepan. Wonderful!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Favorite new kitchen toys? by Mare749 (Jean had a good idea...)
Gee, its been so long... Our Christmas present to each other (other than little gadgets for our stockings) was redoing our bedroom. We have the lumber ordered and we're redoing a couple of walls.

so, really no new toys.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Favorite new kitchen toys? by cjs (Gee, its been so lon...)
Will gave me a mini French Press, but I haven't tried it yet. That's on schedule Saturday.

Ashley gave me a nice set of silicone tipped tongs that I absolutely LOVE! And a stainless steel cake server, but it was on back order, so haven't seen it yet.

Andrew got bonus points for the gift I wanted, but thought I didn't get....a real blow torch! I forgot to do my Creme Brûlée for New Years, so maybe next weekend! I can't wait! I'm also anxious to see peppers go on sale so I can try it out with roasted peppers! Anybody use theirs for anything else?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Favorite new kitchen toys? by Gourmet_Mom (Will gave me a mini ...)
Daphne, I love my french press! I use it every day now. Coffee just tastes better. I have only used my torch for creme brulee, so no help here.

Maryann, I finally got a Cuisinart food processor shortly before we moved and I have no idea how I managed without one! It was one of the few things I took in my car to the apartment.

Like Jean, Wally and I have spent so much money on home projects, we didn't really buy eachother gifts. One daughter did give me one of those cool drying mats for dishes, which I love. This past weekend I bought an OXO mandoline from Craigslist. A young couple got it as a wedding gift and don't cook so I got a good deal. Just haven't had time to play with it yet.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Favorite new kitchen toys? by chef_Tab (Daphne, I love my fr...)
Like many of you, Ron and I don't usually buy for each other any more either. It was kind of a coincidence and a good sale at Macy's that got me the Cuisinart.

What about cookbooks? Surely, somebody has gotten a new cookbook. I got an Amazon gift card, but haven't used it yet......
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Favorite new kitchen toys? by Mare749 (Like many of you, Ro...)
Wow! I don't feel so bad now. We got each other a half a transmission job on the van!

Bob had planned to get me an olive stuffer . . . . I have the pimento in the freezer.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Favorite new kitchen toys? by Harborwitch (Wow! I don't feel s...)
Huuby and I don't usually exchange gifts anymore either. This year we declared our Italy trip as our gift to each other. Oldest daughter got me a nice jacket from Talbott's no less! Chef son got us some Metropolis Espresso and espresso cups, College boy graduated - that was a huge gift, and he got me a couple of Yankee candles. Youngest daughter and her BF got us a nice bottle of Italian wine. At our extended family I receive a nice set of glasses that can double as dishes. It was a good year!
  Re: Re: Favorite new kitchen toys? by HomeCulinarian (Huuby and I don't us...)
Theresa, tell me about these drying mats? I hand wash and would love to hear about this.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Favorite new kitchen toys? by Gourmet_Mom (Theresa, tell me abo...)
Well I inherited a new device called a Vacuum Vin. You put your meat in the dish, pour the marinade over and pump out the air so it forces the marinade deeper into the meat. My dad got it and didn't use it so gave it to me. It's gonna be tested this weekend

[Image: 41826A597EL._SS400_.jpg]
  Re: Re: Favorite new kitchen toys? by DFen911 (Well I inherited a n...)
Daphne, this... http://www.amazon.com/OriginalTM-Microfi...3205&sr=8-3 is the one I have and love it because if I only have a few things, I fold it in half. It is very absorbent and things dry quickly on it. I hang it over the oven handle when not using.

Denise, I have the vaccu vin and stoppers for wine, tho it doesn't get used much since there is rarely any left :-P
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!