Speaking of pantry items.....
  Re: (...)
Why did I buy a can of sardines??? Somebody, please tell me!

If not, can anyone tell me what to do with them? My mom used to buy them when I was a kid, but I sure can't remember what she did with them.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Speaking of pantry items..... by Mare749 (Why did I buy a can ...)
I have read they are very high in Omega3's and one of the healthier and safer fish to eat.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Speaking of pantry items..... by Mare749 (Why did I buy a can ...)
A "sleeve" of saltines, a can of sardines, and a bottle of tabasco! Heaven. I love the Brunswick brand "fish steaks in Louisianna Hot Sauce" Just give me the can and a spoon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Speaking of pantry items..... by Harborwitch (A "sleeve" of saltin...)
Maryann, we had the greatest thread going on this in '05 over on C2C, I won't post the whole thing here, but I'll p.m. it to you - it's a riot!

Ideas? Zeppole
Fritters
and, another - I thought of you father-in-law when I saw this, don't know why.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Norwegian Sardine Pate
8 servings

8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 3 1/4-oz cans boneless skinless sardines -- drained
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
capers
additional chopped parsley

Cream together first four ingredients. Mash sardines and beat into cheese mixture with parsley and hot sauce. Form into mound or desired shape. Garnish with capers and parsley. Serve with toast fingers, bread or crackers.

Yield:
"2 cups"
- - - -

I think this is so funny!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Speaking of pantry items..... by cjs (Maryann, we had the ...)
That's a hoot Jean! I was sitting here wondering about how sardines would work in cream cheese! Now I am so going to have to get all the stuff and make that - I can see it on my dark bread for a sandwich!
  Re: Re: Speaking of pantry items..... by Harborwitch (That's a hoot Jean! ...)
William would love this, Jean! Although, Sharon's "recipe" is his current favorite...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Speaking of pantry items..... by Gourmet_Mom (William would love t...)
Well, I'm hooked. Had the sardines on crackers for a snack. My hot sauce looked funny, so had to toss it. Not sure what happened there. But, I had siracha so used that. Oh boy, my new favorite snack!

Your recipe sounds really good, Jean. I'll have to try that one. Used to make one like that with canned salmon and we loved that.

That's amazing that you remember that my FIL loves pate! Or was it because he loves to eat kipper snack sandwiches with mustard?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Speaking of pantry items..... by Mare749 (Well, I'm hooked. Ha...)
Can't remember, Maryann, but he did pop into my mind when I saw this one. I love that he's so willing to try things with you.

go for it, Sharon and Daphne. Left in my pantry after using the smoked clams yesterday is one can each anchovies and smoked oysters. Will play with them next week, I hope.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Speaking of pantry items..... by cjs (Can't remember, Mary...)
My Dad got me hooked on sardines when I was a little kid. I mean serioiusly hooked. Finally he told me that they were baby whales so I wouldn't want to eat them. It worked for a long time - but I figured it out