Review: Pad Thai at Home-Issue #91
  Re: (...)
Well, I must say I'm underwhelmed with this dish. It is just a sluggish dish, nothing like other Pad Thais I've done. And the rice noodles were not over-cooked, they were fine but maybe the starch that leeched (?) into the sauce helped the thick, heavy feel to it. Nothing like the picture in the magazine and I defy C@H to have used 1/2 cup of Tamarind paste plus 1/4 cup fish sauce and end up with the vibrant fresh look of their dish in the magazine.

[Image: CIMG1884.jpg]

Doesn't look very vibrant to me! On to the next....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: Pad Thai at Home-Issue #91 by cjs (Well, I must say I'm...)
Thanks for posting your review, Jean. Sorry to hear this was a disappointment.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Review: Pad Thai at Home-Issue #91 by cjs (Well, I must say I'm...)
Thanks for the review. I did not think the recipe was quite right but could not figure out why. I love pad thai and find it is not hard, just takes time to prep. The recipes I like have 2 TBS. tamarind and no more than 3 TBS. fish sauce. I usually go to the trouble of getting tofu for mine (not a staple for me) and always use shrimp and pork. When I make pork dishes, if I have more than is required or I need to trim, I save the trimmed pieces, freeze them and use them for pad thai. Right now I have some defrosted and had debated whether to try the pad thai or make the pork stir-fry from a couple of issues back. I am going with the pork stir-fry (even though it called for tenderloin, I am using my leftover bits.)
Thanks for saving me the disappointment.
  Re: Re: Review: Pad Thai at Home-Issue #91 by Cubangirl (Thanks for the revie...)
I seriously need to get a version of this dish I want to try. I have yet to see one that appealed to me.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review: Pad Thai at Home-Issue #91 by Gourmet_Mom (I seriously need to ...)
Jean, did you cook all the ingredients separately, then toss together at the end? Your picture appears to show everything in a skillet cooking together. My wife is making this Saturday night and I'm not sure she should.
  Re: Re: Review: Pad Thai at Home-Issue #91 by losblanos1 (Jean, did you cook a...)
Nope, did not cook all together - just at the end tossed the noodles with the sauce, then tossed in everything else. for just a minute.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Pad Thai at Home-Issue #91 by cjs (Nope, did not cook a...)
Thank you for the feedback.
  Re: Re: Review: Pad Thai at Home-Issue #91 by losblanos1 (Thank you for the fe...)
If you make it Blane, I'll be anxious to hear how you like it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Pad Thai at Home-Issue #91 by cjs (If you make it Blane...)
My wife is making it, but I'll be sure to come back to give my review. Maybe a photo also.
  Re: Re: Review: Pad Thai at Home-Issue #91 by cjs (Nope, did not cook a...)
Thanks,everyone, for the reviews. I was planning on making this on Wed, I'll think twice. A lot of the appeal was the magazine picture. (Kind of like the Red Lobster commercials....)

So, I now know, less fish sauce, less tamarind. Anything else, or should I just move on?

Thanks

PJ
PJ