Attn: Trixxe and Lorraine and........
  Re: (...)
This is a really sad day for me, but has turned out to be really productive also. First off, the fun news.

I have the most wonderful smelling batch of Spinach & Feta bread resting in the frig from Artisan Bread-5 min. a day book. I'll bake a small loaf up to try with some rustic soup tonight.

Then, in a newsletter this a.m. there was the cleverest idea that I'm thinking Trixxee (for camping) and Lorraine (for catering) could have a ball with.

Buy a tube of Pillsbury bisuits (about 6-7 oz. can) Separate the dough and place up to 4 biscuits at a time in a heated waffle iron. Cooks in 2 to 3 minutes. At first, I thought what a great thing for the trailer trips, without the fuss of making waffle batter (and I love a yeast waffle batter which is even more time consuming)

[Image: MinibiscuitwafflesJan25.jpg]
the little can we had had 5 biscuits in it and it was a perfect amount 2 1/2 for each of us for 'dinner.'

And, Lorraine, I got to thinking of neat appetizers or a Sunday brunch item like top with a crab melt goop. So many ways to go with these little goodies.

Now, the sad part of the day. I've mentioned over the past years going to Everett the 3rd Wed. of the month to take my Aunt Marjean shopping and out to lunch. She is one of the ballsiest women I've ever met, and she has survived 6 bouts of cancer which the drs. have never been able to figure out how. But, this time, she has another cancer and has internal bleeding - and they can only make her comfortable from now on. My 4 cousins, 1 sister and I are just devestated because she has always been such a large part of our lives. And, my special bond with her - I was born on her 18 b'day.

Got a call from her nurse this a.m. that she is refusing to eat, the food is too salty, doesn't taste good, etc. So, the nurse asked if I would bring her her favorite homemade chicken gravy and mashed potatoes and any desserts that I have been making for her to get her motivated.

She loves Hilo Haupia Squares that I've made for her with a crust, but today I just made the filling and topped with some toasted coconut and 'nilla cookie crumbs. I added chocolate to a part of the batch, her favorite, and we tested it today. Boy is it tasty!!
[Image: ChocHiloHaupiaJan25.jpg]

I realize I'm really rambling here. Tomorrow we're going over and we think we'll be able to move her to a nursing home then or Friday. Don't know how long we have with her, but I wish you could have all known her - she is such a foodie and she would have really fit in here.

if anyone is still reading, thank you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Attn: Trixxe and Lorraine and........ by cjs (This is a really sad...)
Oh Jean! I am so sorry . . . . I know how hard this is for you and your sisters. Bob and I will be saying prayers for you all, if there is anything at all we can do please ask! I wish we could have met her too, but perhaps we've met her and gotten to know her well through you and your stories. HUGS!

(The waffle idea sounds good, with some creamed chicken on top?? Hmmmmm. And that bread . . . )
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Attn: Trixxe and Lorraine and........ by Harborwitch (Oh Jean! [img]/ubb...)
I'm so sorry to hear this, Jean. I know you are really close to her. Prayers for all of you.

I LOVE the ideas for the biscuits, and the bread sounds wonderful!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Attn: Trixxe and Lorraine and........ by Harborwitch (Oh Jean! [img]/ubb...)
Jean, I wish there was something I could do to help you through this very sad time. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your aunt. I wish we all could have known her and I'm sure she would have been a lively part of this forum, too. Big hugs for you.

P.S. I love your biscuit idea and that dessert looks yummy. What else is in it?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Attn: Trixxe and Lorraine and........ by Mare749 (Jean, I wish there w...)
What a great idea and thank you for thinking of me!

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I think we all have a favorite and the thought of losing her would be extremely difficult. I hope she's comfortable during her remaining time, poor thing.
  Re: Re: Attn: Trixxe and Lorraine and........ by Trixxee (What a great idea an...)
thanks everyone. Maryann, I'll start a thread about the Hilo Haupia and get away from this one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Attn: Trixxe and Lorraine and........ by cjs (thanks everyone. Mar...)
Jean, I love the waffle idea, and even more, I love the caring and love for your and that comes through every time your write about her.

I wish her comfort and G-d's will be done in the best possible way for her and all of those whose lives she has touched.
  Re: Re: Attn: Trixxe and Lorraine and........ by karyn (Jean, I love the waf...)
Oh Jean my heart just breaks to hear this news But I am so glad you will get time to be with her and fix her some of her favorite things to eat I so wish I was closer so I could help in some way. My love to you all!!
  Re: Re: Attn: Trixxe and Lorraine and........ by DFen911 (Oh Jean my heart jus...)

Jean - Thinking of you - and yourAunt.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Attn: Trixxe and Lorraine and........ by mjkcooking ([br]Jean - Thinkin...)
Sorry to hear the sad news, Jean. I hope everything goes well.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?