What's for Dinner, Sat., 1/28??
  Re: (...)
Wow, completely lost the thread...

What's on the menu for today?

I'm still putting pork chops in the crockpot and going to the movies - the matinee of one of the below.

Hope we can see them all before they leave town, but dang, it's going to be expensive...

War Horse
The Descendants
Extremely Loud and....
The Iron Lady
Red Tails

How come they all come at once?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 1/28?? by cjs (Wow, completely lost...)
Have fun, Jean. Let us know what you pick...

We're going downtown to see "Hair" tonight, so will probably have drinks and apps here: http://www.briccodowntown.com/cleveland/
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I have only seen one of the movies and it was very good. Yeah, let us know what you see and how you liked it.

Today I am cleaning house and am making Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy, Sauteed Red Cabbage, and Spaetzle. I have some caraway bread in the bread machine. I am a bit trepidatious about the outcome. I blended two recipes together AND had a substitution. I could end up with a Caraway Doorstop
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 1/28?? by Mare749 (Have fun, Jean. Let ...)
Big night out for both of you gals! Have fun :-)

Our friends have invited us to a lobster dinner. Yum. I am bringing a salad, knock-off Red Lobster cheddar biscuits, and Lemon Pudding Cakes from June 2010 C@H for dessert. Need to stop at the winery for some Chardonnay. I have been looking forward to Lobster all week :-)
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
I'm going to make the Pork Tenderloin Wellington from Issue 42. It also contains the Beef Wellington in the issue as well. Included for the beef wellington is a port wine sauce. For the pork wellington they made subs into the port wine sauce, but still included 3 cups of beef broth.

Has anyone ever made this for the pork? Maybe I should sub chicken broth instead? I don't have anything else on hand.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 1/28?? by luvnit (I have only seen one...)
Tonight my wife is taking over the kitchen, she's making Colombian potato stew with Tomato stuffed avocados. CAH- 'Soups, Stews & Chilies'.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 1/28?? by BarbaraS (I'm going to make th...)
Quote:

Has anyone ever made this for the pork? Maybe I should sub chicken broth instead? I don't have anything else on hand.

I made this back in December and followed the recipe exactly as written. I didn't have truffle butter so I used unsalted. It's delicious!
I don't think chicken broth would have a negative effect on the sauce.
Edited to correct grammar.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 1/28?? by losblanos1 (Tonight my wife is t...)
Barbara, I made the pork wellington a while back and it got rave reviews. I honestly don't remember what I did for a sauce though. Maybe I reviewed it. must do a search.......ugh.
Theresa

Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 1/28?? by chef_Tab (Barbara, I made the ...)
Oh, yeah, I made the individual pork wellingtons with a mushroom sauce. I saw the recipe you are referring to and it would seem to make more sense to use chicken broth with apple cidar and white wine.
Theresa

Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat., 1/28?? by chef_Tab (Oh, yeah, I made the...)
"knock-off Red Lobster cheddar biscuits" - Theresa, that is the 2nd recipe my sister wanted me to duplicate for her. Could you post the recipe or let me know where to find it?

The first one (Applebee's Oriental Salad) sure was a success. Thanks.

Hair, Maryann???? Wow, how I'd love to see that again! It's been a hundred years. "house NACHOS topped with asiago cream sauce, black olives, diced tomatoes,
scallion, artichoke hearts and choice of chicken or chorizo $8" - now doesn't that sound good!!

And, Laura's Spaetzles!!

Another great day of ideas, for food and fun!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com