What's for Dinner, Monday, 1/30??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

We're having B.B. & Zucc Quesadillas from the Carb book. And, later, a barley salad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 1/30?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I have some thin sliced steaks, not sure what I'm going to do with them, but I also have barly, butternut squash, and I think I'm going to make a barley risotto with butternut, dried cranberries that Lydia made on the Today Show last week. It looked soooooooooo good. Off to find the recipe.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 1/30?? by Harborwitch (I have some thin sli...)

well this recently retired person is on way to seattle to find a tux for
husband.

so probably catch something along the way.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 1/30?? by mjkcooking ([br]well this recent...)
WHOOOEEEE!!! Hope we see more of you from now on, Marye - unless of course, you are going to have a life and no time for us....................

Hey Sharon, if you have leftover Barley risotto - you might check out page 84 of the LEFTOVER BOOK.....just sayin'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 1/30?? by cjs (WHOOOEEEE!!! Hope we...)
Congratulations, Marye! How does it feel? Are you still trying to "absorb" it all? Hope you get to do all the things that you didn't have time for when you were working! So, what is the tux for, a big celebration party?

Oops, almost forgot, dinner is turkey soup with homemade noodles
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 1/30?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Patty Melts! But I'm kinda confused about how to get the swiss cheese to melt. Do I keep the patties and onions warm while grilling the bread slices with the swiss on them and then assemble or should I assemble and grill one bread slide, then flip and grill the other? Also, if I want ketchup on my patty, I should do this before final assembly, right?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 1/30?? by cjs (WHOOOEEEE!!! Hope we...)
Quote:

WHOOOEEEE!!! Hope we see more of you from now on, Marye - unless of course, you are going to have a life and no time for us....................

Hey Sharon, if you have leftover Barley risotto - you might check out page 84 of the LEFTOVER BOOK.....just sayin'

From Lydia Bastianich on the Today Show!

Barley risotto with butternut squash and cranberries
Lidia Bastianich
Ingredients
• 2 quarts water
• 1 cup diced (1/4-inch) trimmed carrots
• 1 cup diced (1/4-inch) onion
• 1 cup diced (1/4-inch) trimmed celery
• 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 1/2 cup pearl barley
• 2 cups butternut squash, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
• 1 cup dried cranberries
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup Grana Padano
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation
Bring the water, celery, carrots, onion, bay leaves and olive oil to a boil. Stir in the barley and cook until tender but still firm, about 10 minutes. Add the squash and cranberries and stir well. Continue to cook for another 20 minutes. Drain any excess water from the barley and return to pan. Whip in the butter one tablespoon at a time to combine. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 1/30?? by mjkcooking ([br]well this recent...)
Congrats on the retirement! I certainly hope you bought a really nice bottle of ANYTHING to celebrate!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 1/30?? by BarbaraS (Congrats on the reti...)
Another new recipe from the latest Cuisine lite: Chicken Tinga with tomatillo sauce and Rice Veracruz as a side.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 1/30?? by losblanos1 (Another new recipe f...)
Patty Melts! But I'm kinda confused about how to get the swiss cheese to melt. Do I keep the patties and onions warm while grilling the bread slices with the swiss on them and then assemble or should I assemble and grill one bread slide, then flip and grill the other? Also, if I want ketchup on my patty, I should do this before final assembly, right?
--------

Barbara, the cheese will melt as you grill the sandwich - you put it all together, butter or oil the outsides of the bread and treat just like any grilled cheese sandwich. You can add you ketchup at any point - I'd smear it on the bread first as you are putting it together. (or on the burger pattie?) You keep the burger and onions warm just while you are doing each part of the sandwich so everything goes together kinda warm, but don't worry if they are not, just grill at a little lower temperature to give everything a chance to warm up.

Sharon - barley cakes would be delicious made from leftovers of that barley risotto (Lydia's)
www.achefsjourney.com