Porcini Powder
  Re: (...)

Hi Everyone - I received a bag of Porcini Powder for Christmas

anyone have any ideas to share on how to use this?

Thanks

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Porcini Powder by mjkcooking ([br]Hi Everyone - I...)
Here's CI recipe that had great reviews.
SAUTÉED CHICKEN CUTLETS WITH PORCINI SAUCE

Servings: 4

1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms (about ¾ cup) divided
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
½ oz. dried porcini powder
¼ cup plus 1 tsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
Table salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 to 8 ounces each), tenderloins removed and breasts trimmed of excess fat, halved horizontally, and pounded ¼ inch thick (see note)
2 TBS. vegetable oil,plus 1 tsp.
1 small shallot , minced (about 2 TBS.)
¼ cup dry vermouth
1 tsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. soy sauce
½ tsp. sugar
2 TBS. cold unsalted butter
½ tsp. minced fresh thyme leaves
½ tsp. juice from 1 lemon
ground black pepper

Rinse porcini in large bowl of cold water, agitating them with hands to release dirt and sand. Allow dirt and sand to settle to bottom of bowl, then lift porcini from water and transfer to microwave-safe 2-cup measuring cup. Add chicken broth, submerging porcini beneath surface of liquid. Microwave on high power 1 minute, until broth is steaming. Let stand 10 minutes. Using tongs, gently lift porcini out of broth and transfer to cutting board, reserving broth. Chop porcini into ¾-inch pieces and transfer to medium bowl. Strain broth through fine-mesh strainer lined with large coffee filter into bowl with chopped porcini.

Combine ¼ cup flour, ground porcini powder, 1 tsp. salt, and ½ tsp. pepper in pie plate. Working one piece at a time, dredge chicken in flour, shaking gently to remove excess. Set aside on plate.

Heat 1 TBS. oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Place 4 cutlets in skillet and cook without moving until browned, about 2 minutes. Flip cutlets and continue to cook until second sides are opaque, 15 to 20 seconds. Transfer to large plate. Add 1 TBS. oil to now-empty skillet and repeat to cook remaining cutlets. Tent plate loosely with foil.

Add remaining tsp. oil to now-empty skillet and return pan to medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 30 seconds. Add remaining tsp. flour and cook, whisking constantly, 30 seconds. Increase heat to medium-high and whisk in vermouth, soaked porcini and their liquid, tomato paste, soy sauce, and sugar. Simmer until reduced to 1 cup, 3 to 5 minutes.

Transfer cutlets and any accumulated juices to skillet. Cover and simmer until cutlets are heated through, about 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat and transfer cutlets to serving platter. Whisk butter, thyme, and lemon juice into sauce and season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve immediately.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

For even more intense mushroom flavor, grind an additional half-ounce of dried porcini mushrooms in a spice grinder until it is reduced to fine dust. Sift the dust through a fine-mesh strainer and then stir it into the flour before dredging the chicken. Look for dried mushrooms that are smooth and have small pores; shriveled porcini with large holes will retain dirt and grit even after rinsing. The chicken breasts will be easier to slice in half if you freeze them for 15 minutes. To slice a breast in half, place one hand on top of the breast to secure it, hold a chef’s knife parallel to the cutting board, and slice through the middle of the breast horizontally.

Source: COOK'S ILLUSTRATED 3/2009
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/...ocid=18763

Recipe Type: Cooks Illustrated, Main Dish, Poultry
  Re: Porcini Powder by mjkcooking ([br]Hi Everyone - I...)
This a Batali rub for steaks I have used many times--delicious!!
2 T sugar
1 T kosher salt
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 T hot red pepper flakes
1 T freshly ground black pepper
1/4 C porcini powder
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Rub all over a 28 oz rib eye or strip, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 12 hours or overnite. Wipe off excess marinade with a paper towel and grill steak, turning every six min until desired doneness. 120 internal for med rare.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Porcini Powder by Old Bay (This a Batali rub fo...)
Hope you have lots of it, Marye -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wild & Creamy Mushroom Soup

1/4 oz dried porcini mushrooms
1 large onion -- minced (1-1/4 C)
3 T salted butter
1/2 lb. white mushrooms -- thinly sliced (3Cups)
1 t.. fine sea salt
1/2 t. dried tarragon -- crumbled
1/2 t dried Mexican oregano -- crumbled]
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 C all-purpose flour
4 C reduced-sodium broth (32 fl oz)
1/2 C heavy cream
2 T medium-dry sherry
Garmish: Chopped scallion greens -- fresh mushrooms (optional) thinly sliced.

-Grind dried porcini in a blender until powderly

-Cook onion in 1 T butter in a 4 to 5 quart heavy pot, covered, over moderate heat, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add Fresh mushrooms, porcini powder, seal salt, tarragon oregano, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.

-Add remaining 2T butter and cook, stirring, until melted, then sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick and golden, about 5 minutes.

-Whisk in 1 C chick broth, scraping up any brown bits, until mixture is smooth. Add remaining broth in a stream, whisking until liquid is smooth. Bring to a simmer, whisking, then stir in cream and Sherry and simmer,, uncovered, stirring occasionally 10 minutes.

I always use unsalted butter and dry sherry

Description:
"lxxf: Maryann asked me to post this: From the December 2006 issue of Gourmet Magazine:"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Can't remember if I've tried this one -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beef Short Ribs with Savory Mushroom Bread Pudding

Brine the Short Ribs
3 pounds boneless beef short ribs -- trimmed into 3x2x2-inch portions
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
6 cups cold water

Method for brining:
Add salt, sugar, and 2 cupswater to medium sauce pot over high heat; allow salt and sugar to dissolve. Remove fromheat and add remaining
water. Pour brine over ribs and let stand covered in refrigerator for2 hours.

Cook the Short Ribs
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon coarse cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons porcini powder
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup vegetable oil, divided
1 cup yellow onion, medium dice
3 garlic cloves, sliced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
16 ounces chicken broth
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
6 ounces water
2 fresh thyme sprigs

Preheat oven to 325º. Discard brine and pat ribs dry with paper towels.

Combine salt, pepper, porcini powder, and flour; coat short ribs with mixture. Preheat heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium high heat.
Add 2 tablespoons oil and brown short ribs on all sides (about 2 minutes per side), working in batches and adding oil as needed.

Reserve browned short ribs. Add onion and garlic to Dutch oven; cook until softened. Add tomato paste and flour. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth, water, vinegar, thyme, and ribs and bring to a boil. Cover and place in oven for 3½ hours, stirring occasionally. Skim any fat from cooking liquid before serving.

Bread Pudding
1 pound whole cremini mushrooms
1 cup yellow onion, medium dice
3 cloves fresh garlic, whole
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
2 large eggs, beaten well
8 ounces chicken broth
1 pint heavy cream
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup grated Romano cheese
2 pounds crusty baguette, ciabatta, or mild sourdough bread
3 tablespoons white truffle oil (optional)

Preheat oven to 350º. Toss mushrooms, onions, garlic, and 1 tablespoon salt with oil on a large sheet pan; roast in oven 15–18 minutes. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, broth, cream, milk, butter, cheese and 1 tablespoon salt. Cut bread into 1-inch pieces and add to cream mixture. Coarsely chop mushrooms and add them, along with any cooking juices, to bread mixture. Let stand 25 minutes.

Transfer to a greased 12–14-inch cast iron skillet and bake at 350º for 1 hour and 25 minutes. Drizzle with truffle oil.

Serve family style with winter greens or creamed spinach. Serves 4–6.

Description:
"Cab Franc suggested for this dish."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll stop.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Porcini Powder by cjs (Hope you have lots ...)
Great sounding recipes. I've made the soup several times.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Porcini Powder by Mare749 (Great sounding recip...)
Those sound WONDERFUL, Jean. Of course, you know me with mushrooms. Can't get porcini in any form here, but I may try adapting these recipes to regular mushrooms or, perhaps, to dried shiitake mushrooms.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Porcini Powder by labradors (Those sound WONDERFU...)
oh my goodness !

Thank for all the recipes - I think I will be busy trying them

I'll let you know when I try them.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Porcini Powder by mjkcooking (oh my goodness ! ...)
Yes, please do, Marye - And, her retirement fun begins!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com