Fun with Chickpeas!
  Re: (...)
So I just did Noble Pig's chickpea appy. Can't wait til they cool down and cut up a lime.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Fun with Chickpeas! by BarbaraS (So I just did Noble ...)
I make Tom Douglas's chickpea appy - and love it. anxious to hear how your's is.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fun with Chickpeas! by cjs (I make Tom Douglas's...)
Well it's 2 cans of 15 oz chickpeas drained and rinsed and dried some. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss chickpeas in 3 T olive oil and 1/2 tsp each pepper and salt. Layer in single layer on a cookie sheet over foil and bake for 15 minutes, tossing them about a couple times. Mix together 1 T chili powder and 1/8 tsp cayenne. After 15 minutes, sprinkle powders over chickpeas (use a fine mesh strainer) and pop back into the oven for 5 minutes. Let cool and serve with lime wedges.

What's yours?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Fun with Chickpeas! by BarbaraS (Well it's 2 cans of ...)
Your's sound wonderful, Barbara - I'd like to try them also.

This is a recipe from a local (Seattle) chef, Tom Douglas

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fried Garbanzo beans - Tom Douglas

Olive oil as needed for frying (do not use Extra Virgin - use pure olive oil -- it has a higher smoke point.)
8 garlic cloves -- peeled and sliced about 1/8" thick (about ¼ cup)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas) (if starting with dried beans 1 cup raw yields a little more than 2 cups of cooked)
1/2 lemon wedge for garnish

Preheat oven to 200°F.
To fry the garlic, fill a heavy saucepan with oil to a depth of about 1-inch. Heat the oil to 325°. Add the sliced garlic to the oil and scoop it out with a skimmer or slotted spoon as soon as it starts to turn golden, after about 10 seconds. Drain the garlic on p.towels and leave at room temp. Season the garlic with salt l& pepper.

Start adding the garbanzos to the oil, a small handful at a time, and fry until golden and crusty, 2-3 minutes. (don't add too many beans at one time as it will decrease the oil temp too much) As you are frying, keep checking the temp. of the oil and adjust heat as necessary to keep it between 325° and 350°F. Using a skimmer or slotted spoon, scoop the garbanzos out as they are done and drain on p.towels. Season the fried garbanzos with salt and pepper, transfer them to a baking sheet, and keep warm in the oven.

To serve, transfer the beans to a serving bowl, scatter garlic over the top and sprinkle with lemon juice if desired.

These are really good served on a wilted escarole salad, but wonderful to just eat like candy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fun with Chickpeas! by cjs (Your's sound wonderf...)
We're using chickpeas this weekend too - homemade hummus tomorrow.
  Re: Re: Fun with Chickpeas! by Trixxee (We're using chickpea...)
I made the Tom Douglas recipe a while back and we liked it a lot. Also tried it sprinkled with a little bit of chipotle and we liked that a lot.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fun with Chickpeas! by Mare749 (I made the Tom Dougl...)
Maybe I should try them fried. We don't care for them in the other applications we've tried.

BTW, I'm paying for my absence. You guys have done a lot of chatting the past couple of days.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fun with Chickpeas! by Gourmet_Mom (Maybe I should try t...)
It's easy to fall behind, isn't it?? Welcome back. Take a deep breath and enjoy yourself.
www.achefsjourney.com