Corned Beef in the Crock Pot?
  Re: (...)
Has anyone done a corned beef in the crock pot? How did it turn out? When did you put the potatoes and cabbage in? We're having one tomorrow and thinking about cooking it outside in the crock so the house doesn't get so smelly!
  Re: Corned Beef in the Crock Pot? by Trixxee (Has anyone done a co...)
I always cook my corned beef in a CrockPot, but I add so many other veggies-onion, turnip, spuds and carrots I don't have room for the cabbage. I just put it on the stove. However, you can utilize your grill to cook it outside. Just put a grill safe pot on your grill, or side burner and cook away.

Just made this the other day. Don't forget to make red flannel hash (with beets) with the leftovers!

PJ

ETA, I load the veg first, then the beef, all at the same time. Perfect! Keep the slow cooker in the house, nothing but wonderful smells there without the cabbage.
PJ
  Re: Corned Beef in the Crock Pot? by Trixxee (Has anyone done a co...)
I think that would be a great way to cook a corned beef. I love to cook mine at a low temperature. You might want to layer your ingredients in the order of longest cooking (first layer) to shorter cooking (top layer). Add liquid (beer, water, stock, etc) and off you go.

Sounds like a darned good idea, in fact...... hmmmmmmmmmm
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corned Beef in the Crock Pot? by cjs (I think that would b...)
It is great in the crock pot. I used the guiness beer recipe from CAH and loved it! Cabbage was not cooked with the meat, it was added later.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef in the Crock Pot? by HomeCulinarian (It is great in the c...)
Thanks all! Crock pot it will be. I haven't made a corned beef since last St. Patrick's Day.

I'm already looking forward to Reuben sandwiches and corned beef hash with the leftovers! Glad I got a fair sized one at Costco.

My husband are like animals with corned beef. Cannot stop eating it.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef in the Crock Pot? by Trixxee (Thanks all! Crock p...)
I almost always do mine in the crockpot with the carrots & onions. I do the potatoes and cabbage on the stove.

Hmmmmm - thinking it's time to get a brisket in to corn next week.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Corned Beef in the Crock Pot? by Harborwitch (I almost always do m...)
HW - when you do the potatoes and cabbage do you add some of the cooking water so it picks up some more flavor? You know I think that's what I'm going to do. Throw the carrots in with the meat and then do the other stuff separately but with some of the cooking liquid.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef in the Crock Pot? by Trixxee (HW - when you do the...)
Since I started cooking my corned beef in Guiness I thought it was a little heavy for the potatoes, and I just love steamed cabbage.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Corned Beef in the Crock Pot? by Harborwitch (Since I started cook...)
Just thought I would add my two cents. I'm in the crockpot camp as well. Been doing it for years and it's always perfect. That just reminded me of some Reuben puffs some of us were doing a few years back.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Corned Beef in the Crock Pot? by Mare749 (Just thought I would...)
and, Reuben pizza. Hmmm, might be a lot of us will be looking for brisket in the next couple weeks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com